Stihl MS 361 owner AS group

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just thinking the same thing. I finally got a bit of saw dust past the filter this weekend I might not of had the cover tight enough tho. The stock filter gets dirty and is hard to clean. A washable filter would be nice. I had just been blowing it off with compressed air.

The 44 micron mesh filter works great here, and is very easy to clean - for a field cleaning it is enough to knock it against a hard object once or twise.

The 44 micron mesh filter works great here, and is very easy to clean - for a field cleaning it is enough to knock it against a hard object once or twise.

Im guessing your talking about a home made filter or is there another alternative. Thanks for the reply.

No he is talking about the flocked stock plastic mesh filter. Pull the air filter cover off, then pull the air filter off, and tap it outside-down on a log or other hard surface to knock off the dust and chips. Then put the filter back on.

We have had long flame war thread discussions about the other cloth type filter that is also available on the 361. Avoid those. Home made filters for a 361? Fingers on chalkboard...

No he is talking about the flocked stock plastic mesh filter. Pull the air filter cover off, then pull the air filter off, and tap it outside-down on a log or other hard surface to knock off the dust and chips. Then put the filter back on.

We have had long flame war thread discussions about the other cloth type filter that is also available on the 361. Avoid those. Home made filters for a 361? Fingers on chalkboard...

Ahh ok I havnt had it get that covered I just have to blow it out which I do after every day of use usually. I have no problems with the saw really doubt there is any better. A bit of a pain trying to keep the chain tight but that doesnt bother me too much.

Nylon mesh, yes! :)

...and surely not home-made....:D:laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Is this the one to avoid? Seems to work fine for me.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Is this the one to avoid? Seems to work fine for me.

No, that is the stock, nylon/plastic fuzzy mesh one that is stock on most 361s. There is an alternate types available for limited situation cutting (super cold clean conditions if I recall right). Some guy posted that his 361 was getting dust in the carb, and the Troll narrowed it down to his having the other type of filter.

I was hoping it was the wrong kind,,,,then I would have to get a new saw...

Oh well.

I've gotten a little dust past the filter and so started putting a dab of grease around the edge every time I clean it (or so).

(Windy out, huh.....)

No, that is the stock, nylon/plastic fuzzy mesh one that is stock on most 361s. There is an alternate types available for limited situation cutting (super cold clean conditions if I recall right). Some guy posted that his 361 was getting dust in the carb, and the Troll narrowed it down to his having the other type of filter.

Yes, but that was about the 80 micron "winter" filter, not the 44 micron one that is standard here (Husky, Stihl and Dolmar) - I don't use the 80 micron ones on any saw, winter or not....

Oh well.

I've gotten a little dust past the filter and so started putting a dab of grease around the edge every time I clean it (or so).

(Windy out, huh.....)

I think that is where it gets in also if the mating area gets dirty or the cover doesnt get tightened enough. I didnt clean out the groove and might not of tightened mine as well last time it still wasnt much dust tho nothin to worry about.

Well, yah gott'a keep the air filter cover on tight. If it gets loose, you can get dust in there around the edges pretty easy. ;)

Oh well.

(Windy out, huh.....)

Well, that filter you have does looks pretty dirty. May heve to get a new saw anyway. :spam:

Been windy here, yes. I get more calls after wind storms though. :greenchainsaw:

Nobody invited you to join, did they? Is that why you're striking out?....:monkey:

Nope, still waiting for Windy to send the invite. :) Kind of ironic though you have to admit, the talking of 361 problems in the thread supposed to take these to a private group. Nothing against you Madrone, just like to press Windy's buttons now and then and just imagine how red and pissed off he gets. It makes me laugh. :)

:cheers:

Nope, still waiting for Windy to send the invite. :) Kind of ironic though you have to admit, the talking of 361 problems in the thread supposed to take these to a private group. Nothing against you Madrone, just like to press Windy's buttons now and then and just imagine how red and pissed off he gets. It makes me laugh. :)

:cheers:

The private group is for doing other things. chatting, knitting and group hugs.
Should I show the Pic?

oh, and keep on jabbing windy, when he gets red like that I can pretty much see it from here across the river.

Let me in

I am new to Arboristsite today, but this sounds like the thread for me. The MS 361 was my first saw, still the best running one I have. Let me join, and someone please tell me how

Latest posts

Back