Stihl MS 361 vs Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hi all as a Homeowner which of these saws would be best choice:jester:

Hah!

Sorry, but the 2 saws don't even compare. MS361, without a doubt! But... the 55 rancher is probably 1/2 the price.

:ices_rofl: not the one with only two numbers.:D

Of course... it depends on what you mean by "homeowner" and how much you want to spend...

361 is pro level saw. Nothing wrong with homeowner owning one, but if all you do is 1 face cord a year of apple tree limbs, then...

stan_1966 said:

I know NOTHING about the stihl you mentioned.

I've owned the 55 rancher for 3 years. Bigger motor for its price, it does vibrate more compared to some, and it cuts and cuts and cuts and has no problems that I've ever run into. I've cut ice into concrete and asphalt with it. That does tend to dull the chain.

Oh. And if you plan to start it below minus 15 degrees Farenheit regularly, learn to sit it in front of the truck's heater for 5 minutes or the rope won't recoil back religously.

after three years and 7 chains, the ONLY complaint I have is I have to warm up the recoil for 5 minutes or the rope won't go back in if it doesn't start on first pull when it is below minus 15.

A TRUE "rancher" product.

drmiller100 said:
after three years and 7 chains, the ONLY complaint I have is I have to warm up the recoil for 5 minutes or the rope won't go back in if it doesn't start on first pull when it is below minus 15.

A TRUE "rancher" product.

I think I've used 7 chains on my 266xp this month, lol... :biggrinbounce2:

stan_1966 said:

Best choice how? Price wise? Power wise? Longevity wise?

If it's price wise, then it'd be the 55. Otherwise, they're not even comparable. The Stihl is three times the saw the 55 is. And the 55 is a decent homeowner saw.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

You still haven't bought a saw yet? :eek:

The 55 rancher is the best farm saw ever made, IMO. Not the best saw, but for the money it has been a great saw to me, and my buddies that own them. Definatley has more power than you average homeowner needs... Enough power to pull 3/8 chain on a 18" bar in moderate hardwoods. I still have mine, and use it as a loaner saw instead of my high dollar saw.

Never ran a 361, but the two saws are nowhere close in price..The stihl is a pro saw and the 55, even though many tree companies run them is not a pro saw, although it does have a metal crankcase....I would consider the 55 to be on top of the homeowner category

Absolutely Not a Ms361 for a home owner. What are you thinking.
A Husky 55 is on a fine line for a home owner saw Too.
Do you actually think a home owner could even comprehend "Pro Saw"
HAHAHAHAHA I laugh at your face.
If I had a home owner ask if they could fun my Mighty Stilh MS361 Pro Saw.
I would ask him. Whats makes him so worthy to even ask me that question.

A Fifty cc saw is the biggest saw a Home owner can run ask any body that "Knows it all".

As for me Ask anybody on this site and they will tell you that.
"I know nooooothing"
I bid you a Good Day.

manual said:
Absolutely Not a Ms361 for a home owner. What are you thinking.
A Husky 55 is on a fine line for a home owner saw Too.
Do you actually think a home owner could even comprehend "Pro Saw"
HAHAHAHAHA I laugh at your face.
If I had a home owner ask if they could fun my Mighty Stilh MS361 Pro Saw.
I would ask him. Whats makes him so worthy to even ask me that question.

A Fifty cc saw is the biggest saw a Home owner can run ask any body that "Knows it all".

As for me Ask anybody on this site and they will tell you that.
"I know nooooothing"
I bid you a Good Day.

Who pizzed in your wheaties? :deadhorse:

ciscoguy01 said:
I think I've used 7 chains on my 266xp this month, lol... :biggrinbounce2:

If you'd keep the chain in the wood, CIsco, they'd last longer.:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Stan 1966:

Ambiance quantity firewood cutting would not need a 361, something lighter and less expensive, cared for properly, sharp chain, will last many years. Poor care, even a pro saw won't last long.

Last edited:
Freakingstang said:
Who pizzed in your wheaties? :deadhorse:
Gees I thought you would agree with me. 50cc or lower for a home owner. Right ?
Last week My boss called me a home and ask if I would do his nephews'
breaks on his trailer.
So I asked My boss what he thought the difference between a homeowner and a Pro. He Said in so many words "Its the chance you take, where do you think I would be if I did not take any chances ?"
Now you being into homeowner bracket racing should Know what Pro I was talking to.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Manual you need to work on your pictures..

Yea I was inside a hanger. you can fit a B727 inside it. Hows that for a Monster Garage.
He my not have took 1st. But he is every bit of a Winner. LOL

The problem with homeowners running Pro saws is that they don't fully
use the available performance of the saw. A chain saw need proper maintenance to work well. Chain sharpening, tensioning, carburator adjustment, air filter, sprocket changing and and and. Any lack of this and the pro saw doesn't come to it's right. So I think if you get the rancher for half the price, don't cut more than a couple of cords a year, it is a good choice. Learn how to use it and how to take care of it properly, then you can always get a pro saw later. Imagine not getting the fuel:eek:il mixture right, blowing up that 361 after 10 minutes.

/Peter

peter399 said:
The problem with homeowners running Pro saws is that they don't fully
use the available performance of the saw. A chain saw need proper maintenance to work well. Chain sharpening, tensioning, carburator adjustment, air filter, sprocket changing and and and. Any lack of this and the pro saw doesn't come to it's right. So I think if you get the rancher for half the price, don't cut more than a couple of cords a year, it is a good choice. Learn how to use it and how to take care of it properly, then you can always get a pro saw later. Imagine not getting the fuel:eek:il mixture right, blowing up that 361 after 10 minutes.

/Peter

I understand where you are coming from.
Most people have already owned a saw when they post here.
Sure a guy that cuts a cord of wood a year. Should not have to buy a pro saw IF he does not want to.
Lets say a guy has mechanical Knowledge, and is able to handle a bigger saw.
I say go for it.

As the several others said, those saws are not comparable at all, neither in price, nor performance.....:greenchainsaw:

The Husky to compare the MS361 to is the 357xp.

The Stihl to compare the 55 to isn't really there, but the closest is probably the MS270 (or the old 028S - nla new). Husky 55 is a very old design, but it has held its own pretty good as a top of the line consumer saw......

The Husky would serve very well in your first venture into serious saw ownership and use. While I have never owned one, my woodlot partner does and I've seen it in use for several years. It has proven to be reliable, easy to maintain, a decent performer, and cost effective. A guy could ask for nothing more as a first real saw which would either remain his go-to saw for years and years, or his "cut my real saw out of a bind" saw in a few years. For the record, he runs a 20" bar with Stihl RS chains. For some reason, the Husky/Oregon chain with the funny-to-me "fold-over" depth guages dull crazy-fast for him.

manual said:
Yea I was inside a hanger. you can fit a B727 inside it. Hows that for a Monster Garage.
He my not have took 1st. But he is every bit of a Winner. LOL
Awesome and I agree He Is a Winner,,, and I was pulling for him,,,, That was a shocker...............

Err,, yes The 55 is the saw to pick for a home owner, Cost wise it wins. and as stated the average home owner has no need for the 361,,,,, way more saw than needed.

Latest posts

Back