Stihl MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaygettinstarted

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a MS 361 with a ¹q.vbroken ear where the exhaust mounts. Anyone know any fixes? Or will it be safe to operate with just 1 of the 2 exhaust bolts holding the muffler on? Ill attach a pic20210708_224550.jpg

Agreed! What are those dark streaks?
Im not sure what those streaks are? They seem to mostly wipe away with a rag but withrout opening the motor idk what would be causing those? But it has killer compression. A friend asked me to take a look at it and try to clean it up. He claims he never ran it since the muffler mount broke, but its not looking that way to me

Im not sure what those streaks are? They seem to mostly wipe away with a rag but withrout opening the motor idk what would be causing those? But it has killer compression. A friend asked me to take a look at it and try to clean it up. He claims he never ran it since the muffler mount broke, but its not looking that way to me
Either oil or carbon scoring. He may not have run it when the muffler fully cracked and was flopping around, but it sure was run up until that point. Try a few more pics now you’ve wiped the oil off.

In answer to your question, the best fix is a new cylinder, the most cost effective fix too if it’s second hand good condition.

You can have a blob welded which you flatten abs re tap, but I’d suggest searching for a replacement, it’s less work, more reliable and will avoid all possible chances of a big waste of money. 361’s are common and old enough now that there will be used parts around.

They end in the middle of the piston which seems like a weird place to stop, to me anyways?l

Attachments

• 20210709_015714.jpg
    20210709_015714.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20210709_015723.jpg
    20210709_015723.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
That P/C is looking pretty crusty.

Somebody went in to clean up the piston and used metal, did more damage to piston. Use plastic which won't mar the aluminum.

Proper fix would be to remove cylinder and inspect it. If inside is good then someone could Tig the broken area to fill it in. Then machine the ex port flat and tap a new hole for ex screw. That or find a good used OEM cylinder and put in a new piston.

Ok guys. Thanks for all the info and help. Ill trelay the message in the meantime he gave me a little Homelite Xl with an oiler adjuster knob on the bar side for trying to figure that Stihl out. So really you guys earned me a decent little limbkng saw! Thanks again

20210709_134550.jpg
This is the saw he gave me BTW
That P/C is looking pretty crusty.

Somebody went in to clean up the piston and used metal, did more damage to piston. Use plastic which won't mar the aluminum.

Proper fix would be to remove cylinder and inspect it. If inside is good then someone could Tig the broken area to fill it in. Then machine the ex port flat and tap a new hole for ex screw. That or find a good used OEM cylinder and put in a new piston.
Ive relayed your info to him and he wants to sell it. You guys think it would be worth me buying it for $50 as is? Heres a pic

So id be looking at $200-$250 for a running MS 361 then. I might be able to buy one running cheaper? It still has crazy compression. Why would i have to change the cylinder and piston?

So id be looking at $200-$250 for a running MS 361 then. I might be able to buy one running cheaper? It still has crazy compression. Why would i have to change the cylinder and piston?

Latest posts

Back