Stihl MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the cylinder is broken for starters.
Buy it for $50, jb weld the flange and run it as is.
Ok i gotcha. Im kinda new in the chainsaw world so i ask these questions to learn not to dispute or anything like that. I didnt know if id be able to run it safely if i found a way to mount the muffler without having to do all the replacing since it has killer compression still? I gladly listen and take all advise i can get! And i appreciate your time and efforts in responding to my questions

I know a few good welders myself. Just wasnt sure if it was worth doin eith the way the piston looked even though it has killer compression still? And make McCulloch great again? Have ya seen my ProMac 10-10 is scored for $15? Runs great. I posted pics a while back

You guys think it would be worth me buying it for $50 as is?
I've had a 2nd hand 036 for several years and loved it. When the top end went bad (sudden lack of compression), I spent less than $150 on a new Meteor P&C and seals and a cylinder gasket. Now it runs great. In your situation, I would check out the carb, pressure/vacuum test the motor and consider the condition of the B&C & sprocket. If you buy it for $50, you could spend $150 on it, if necessary, and have a good saw for a reasonable price. If you need a new carb kit, bar, chain, and sprocket, as well, you might want to pass it up. I think repairing the damaged cylinder is a bad idea, because you might pay a welder as much as a new cylinder is worth and have a repair that could fail anytime. That's just my opinion. T-A

What you see is what i would get. There's no bar, chain or muffler. So id need those things plus the repair or replacement of the cylinder and piston. Is an MS361 a really common saw? Id rather put my money into something not very common. Id say rare but cant afford rare! Lol

the 361 is a good pro saw and worth a full rebuild if needed, I think your trying to squeeze nickels on a saw thats equivalent costs around a grand today. Pull the cylinder and clean it up really good then soak it in carb cleaner and bake it to get every bit oil out of that aluminum possible so you can get that broken ear filled then drilled/tapped if the cylinder is in good condition. Did you compression test it? just because its hard to pull over does not mean its in good shape. Plan on a gasket set, bearings, carb kit, a set of good rings and new rubber hoses as the minimum if you want a saw that will give you a decade of reliable daily use.

So that saw is roughly equivalent to a Husqvarna 372xp? They were about $1000 when i got mine, or a little more, and i cant imagine that Stihl keeping up with my Husky. But i dont honestly know? Ive never really ran any Stihls. I have the 372xp for daily use and ive been trying to get some older saws with the little extra $ i can scrounge up. Ive managed a ProMac 10-10, a Sears Sportster lightweight, and 3 little Homelites, 2 xl's and a Super2, all 5 for $65! And have only bought fuel filters and fuel for them. Put my time into cleaning years of crap out of them but they all run and im still under $100. So i guess i do try to squeeze nickels. But i cant afford not to. Lol. Thanks for the info though Cookies! You def have me thinking more towards getting the saw now!

So that saw is roughly equivalent to a Husqvarna 372xp? They were about $1000 when i got mine, or a little more, and i cant imagine that Stihl keeping up with my Husky. But i dont honestly know? Ive never really ran any Stihls. I have the 372xp for daily use and ive been trying to get some older saws with the little extra $ i can scrounge up. Ive managed a ProMac 10-10, a Sears Sportster lightweight, and 3 little Homelites, 2 xl's and a Super2, all 5 for $65! And have only bought fuel filters and fuel for them. Put my time into cleaning years of crap out of them but they all run and im still under $100. So i guess i do try to squeeze nickels. But i cant afford not to. Lol. Thanks for the info though Cookies! You def have me thinking more towards getting the saw now!
It's worth $50 even if you part it out.

Back