Stihl MS 362 as good as the MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only run Andyshine77's 362 a couple times but I would say it's a better saw than the 361. It has better filtration, AV, fuel economy and makes more power accross a wider range. The weight difference is grossly over exagerated. We (and I know this is not scientific) real world weigh tested them by holding one in each hand with eyes closed to see which one felt heavier. The difference was negligable. The only 2 complaints I heard were that the fuel line was too short and that the carb was harder to adjust to perfection.

not much just enjoying my 1 day off. I want a 361 but nobody has them. SO we will see what happens. If anybody has one they want to sell...

The 361 has been discontinued for almost 2 years now, I do know a dealer that has a few leftover. But you need to know the secret handshake, and that information doesn't come cheap.

I have both models. I don't have much time on the 362, but to me it does have a broader powerband. The weight difference is about 7oz, but the 361 feels more time and a little better in the hands. It is sort of like the 346-261 argument. I will run both this fall and one will leave the shop.

MS361 is better

I prefer the lightest power to weight ratio saws I can get my hands on because of twenty years with Lymes Disease.

The MS361 is better then the MS362 in the P2W ratio. A littlle heavier adds up at the end of the day and can spell the difference between back pain or not.

When I first started out as an Arborist I was able to take a STIHL 066 with 28" Bar up in the tree to chunk. Today I can only handle a MS440 at most but really use a MS361 with a 25" Bar when needed.

I can really notice a difference between a 361 and 362 weight wise. The 362 actually feels like my 440.

STIHL should make the MS362 70cc, the MS441 80cc and the MS261 57cc. If they did that there would be no competition. My SOLO 681 blows away my STIHLs lb for lb.

I own the 361 and love it! Its muff modded only and makes a big difference. At work on the truck we have both a 361 and 362. So far the crew of four I work with all favor the 361 over the 362. Keep an eye on Craigslist. There's a nice one here in new Hampshire for 350 and that's a good price. The 362 is better on gas for sure tho.

Ms 361

I'm buying one through the classifieds on this site; it has been ported and I'm really looking forward to putting it to work in the managed forest; it will be my first modded saw and it sounds very well taken care of. What originally atractted me was it seems there is less plastic than on the MS 362.

The main reason that the 362 may feel stronger in the US, is that the US 361s were slightly "demoted" in the power department, because of EPA.

I thought mine was a little under powered until I did A Lakeside/ dual ported the muffler and since have been very happy, it was pulling a 25inch bar with a skip decent at one time. Until I bought larger saws it was the biggest I had. My first stihls were the 200t, 260 and the 361. That was my three saw plan for awhile. Until I bought a 440 and 441 and eventually a 660. Even now with all my bases covered I still will haul the 361 up to chunk down trees with. Its surely been a good running saw. I have no regrets with buying it. I lucked out and bought it off a good frienda few years back for 250 bucks and that was a steal! Its in great shape still to this day.

I have ran both saws and my advice would be to buy the cheaper of the two, i could not notice a big diff other than the 362 uses a lot less fuel. my .02

I prefer the lightest power to weight ratio saws I can get my hands on because of twenty years with Lymes Disease.

The MS361 is better then the MS362 in the P2W ratio. A littlle heavier adds up at the end of the day and can spell the difference between back pain or not.

When I first started out as an Arborist I was able to take a STIHL 066 with 28" Bar up in the tree to chunk. Today I can only handle a MS440 at most but really use a MS361 with a 25" Bar when needed.

I can really notice a difference between a 361 and 362 weight wise. The 362 actually feels like my 440.

STIHL should make the MS362 70cc, the MS441 80cc and the MS261 57cc. If they did that there would be no competition. My SOLO 681 blows away my STIHLs lb for lb.

In real-world weights the 362 is slightly better.

The 362 is stronger than the 361 once they are both broken in. The 362 takes about 20-25 tanks to be broken in completely. They will flat out run with a muffler mod and about 25 tanks on them.

I have ran my old mm'd 361 against a broken in and mm'd 362 and the difference was easy to see. The weight difference is a non argument IMO. You pick them both up and you can't tell the difference.

I always liked the 361 better until I finally ran a 362 that was broken in well. Now I like the 362 alot better. I've never seen another saw gain so much power from break in. Also, the filtration is better and the fuel mileage. The AV is about the same between the two IMO. This is my take from real world experience. JMO.

I cannot comment on a 361 but i do have a 362 and i realy like mine they are good on fuel and the smoothest saw i have every run i run a 20in B/C on mine no complants so far.

Mike

I guess I shouldn't comment more on this, but the 441, 362 and 261 are all among the Stihls I woundn't even consider buying, even though they are a lot cheaper than the comparable Huskys here.....:msp_sad:

MS 361. Seems more nimble and quick to me.

And as mentioned before, the MS362 feels too close in weight to the MS440, and there is no comparision between those two.

Back