Stihl MS 362 as good as the MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just go with an 036 Pro and don't look back.

ABSOLUTELY AGREED as it has 62cc vs 59cc and a little more power.

As far as mmurph "In real-world weights the 362 is slightly better."

What world are you living in?

MS361 is 12.3lbs vs MS362 is 13.2lbs which is far closer to a MS440 at 13.6lbs

I have two BRAND NEW MS361's sitting at my feet. One on my left and one on my right. I just like to look at them NEW like that. thank goodness my older 361 is in great running condition.

I am looking at picking up a 036 PRO as well. Screw that heavy MS362 and cash in on a STIHL 044 or MS440, lb for lb. Hey STIHL, if you make the new saws heavier add MORE cc's. :msp_mad:

The 036/360 actually have less power than an Euro 361, even though the specs were the same - and also are a tad heavier. They also had a lesser top-end, as they didn't have the four-port cylinder of the 361 The 362 is a lot heavier than both, and the power specs still are the same, outside the US.

Last edited:
ABSOLUTELY AGREED as it has 62cc vs 59cc and a little more power.

As far as mmurph "In real-world weights the 362 is slightly better."

What world are you living in?

MS361 is 12.3lbs vs MS362 is 13.2lbs which is far closer to a MS440 at 13.6lbs

I have two BRAND NEW MS361's sitting at my feet. One on my left and one on my right. I just like to look at them NEW like that. thank goodness my older 361 is in great running condition.

I am looking at picking up a 036 PRO as well. Screw that heavy MS362 and cash in on a STIHL 044 or MS440, lb for lb. Hey STIHL, if you make the new saws heavier add MORE cc's. :msp_mad:

The real world weight I am living in is that I have both saws, both have been cleaned and weighed on an accurate scale.
BTW, 036's are about 12.25lbs (I've got one of those too.)

Glad to see that:

The MS 361 still Rocks!
StihlMS3614.jpg

Sorry, but I don't have a pic of the 362(weighs 13lb 4oz). Maybe I will have time tomorrow evening. (and the 036 is a 034)
The scale is dead-nuts accurate. I have a 10 dumbbell that I have taken to work and weighed on the postal scales. My scales at home are less than one ounce in difference. The saws are cleaned, emptied, and flushed bf they were weighed.

Scale

mmurph, do you realize that your real world weights back up what most people have been saying on here? The MS361 is a better choice for weight to power ratio over the MS362.

Whenever I pick up the 362 I say to myself, "Same as my MS440" Why should we Arborists have to carry more with less power?

If STIHL were smart, they would have made the 362 at least 64 - 65cc. Thus they could justify the added weight with more torque/power.

If I had a machine shop i would put a 044 P&C on a 361 if it could be accomplished.

Imagine a 70cc MS361 - INCREDIBLE.

Bring back the 064 - 85cc @ 15.2lbs:msp_thumbup:

You do realize that a ratio is definitive number? The 362 carries 2.880 lbs/hp. The 361 carries 2.897hp/lb....it's splitting frog hairs I know, but your statement about the 361 having a better p/w ratio isn't true.

Here is what I know.

I pick up and cut with my 440 and I say nice!

I pick up and cut with my 361 and I say sweet!

Noticeable difference in weight between the two.

I pick up the 362 and I say - Gimme my 440.

That my friend is REAL WORLD and beats any scale.

STIHL screwed up. technology is to help us get lighter and stronger.

Take the MS441 for example. I would buy a Husqvarna 576xp oer a MS441 any day. They both weight the same but you get more power and torque with the 576xp, AND it is smoooooother.

You do realize that a ratio is definitive number? The 362 carries 2.880 lbs/hp. The 361 carries 2.897hp/lb....it's splitting frog hairs I know, but your statement about the 361 having a better p/w ratio isn't true.

It surely is true with the Euro saws, but maybe closer with the US saws....

Here is what I know.

I pick up and cut with my 440 and I say nice!

I pick up and cut with my 361 and I say sweet!

Noticeable difference in weight between the two.

I pick up the 362 and I say - Gimme my 440.

That my friend is REAL WORLD and beats any scale.

STIHL screwed up. technology is to help us get lighter and stronger.

Take the MS441 for example. I would buy a Husqvarna 576xp oer a MS441 any day. They both weight the same but you get more power and torque with the 576xp, AND it is smoooooother.

Your "real world" is "your" opinion only. Just like my real world opinion says that the 362 is the better saw. 8oz will not make my mind up between two different saws. The balance and feel in my hands and the power to weight will. The 361 and 362 both feel good in my hands, with the 362 just being the stronger saw. Have you ran one with 25 or more tanks on it? Thats when you can really feel their power.

And I'll take a 372xpw over the 441 or the 576. :D

I guess I shouldn't comment more on this, but the 441, 362 and 261 are all among the Stihls I woundn't even consider buying, even though they are a lot cheaper than the comparable Huskys here.....:msp_sad:
i would be willing to bet that these are 3 more models that you have never had in your hands either, like most saws you blow about.........

IMO 70cc BEATS 59cc

My REAL WORLD is based on the FACTS ie; weight to power

Go ahead and use your 13.5 pound 59cc MS362.

I 'll use my 13.6 pound 70cc MS440.

You lose, I win. Plain FACTS.

Anybody who has a chance to get a MS361 over the MS362 is making the wiser move, IMO.:laugh:

Back