Stihl MS 362 as good as the MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 362 is the least favorite saw I own. There's a good reason for that. I've never put it on a scale, but it is noticeably heavier than my 036 and feels to me like it's at least as heavy as my 440.

My Heavier GOAT beats my 1980Z28

Hey, I'll cut with my 70cc 14lb 440 over that lame (almost 14lb) measily 59cc 362 anyday.

GOAT wins everytime.

We need to ban the MS362 until STIHL agrees to make it 70cc.

If the NFL players can have their day in court - Why not us?

Ban the MS362 and DEMAND STIHL makes these changes;

MS261 - 57cc
:D
MS362 - 70cc

MS441 - 82cc

MS661 - 101cc

It is a call to arms against STIHL Tyranny.

OH, and bye the way, the STIHL 044 is even lighter then the MS440.

BAN the MS362

Here is our slogan as we march in unified protest until STIHL concedes:

Give us SPEED, Give us POWER, Give us LIBERTY ( ie; Less Weight 2 Power ).

Or we could shorten it:

Less Weight - MORE POWER

:angry:

Got to go now

Hey mmurph,

I am getting my 18 year to climb today and do his first tree that requires lowering.

Talk to yah later.

PS

Should I let him use the 362 or the 361? :laugh:

And I'll take a 372xpw over the 441 or the 576.
+1

I have had 3 xpw's 5-10 372/365's and love em.. Had 10-20 044-440 and love em too.. Had a couple 441 and one 575..... Not so fond of them. I actually prefer the 036's to the 361 so I am a bit of an outcast there. The real question is the 440/372 which is better... I can't even answer that.. They are completely different but both just awsome.. Haven't ran one of the new 372 x torques but its got to be better than the 575..

Well, I'm sure to get in trouble over this but here goes. While I haven't used a 362, according to it's specs, it's a bit over 13lbs. and my 044 is something like 13.7 or13.8 pounds last time I measured it. In fact it's noticeably lighter than my 372XP and thats with both having half wrap and small clutch covers. Why use the 59cc saw for less than half a pound difference? At least thats what I ask myself. By the way Goat, any respectable GTO should be able to beat a 1980 Z28. Maybe even Lance Armstrong. Those aren't anything to brag about beating. Sorry, but it's the truth. Those were some of the worst years/excuse for the Z28 or Corvette. They were something like 16 and 17 second cars, if memory serves me right.

+1

I have had 3 xpw's 5-10 372/365's and love em.. Had 10-20 044-440 and love em too.. Had a couple 441 and one 575..... Not so fond of them. I actually prefer the 036's to the 361 so I am a bit of an outcast there. The real question is the 440/372 which is better... I can't even answer that.. They are completely different but both just awsome.. Haven't ran one of the new 372 x torques but its got to be better than the 575..

I hear the 576 is much better than the 575, but have run either...

Hey mmurph,

I am getting my 18 year to climb today and do his first tree that requires lowering.

Talk to yah later.

PS

Should I let him use the 362 or the 361? :laugh:

If you really want to give hime power to weight put a 7900 in his hand.

+1

I HAD a 441.......I think I'm going to like my 036 this fall!!!

Well, I'm sure to get in trouble over this but here goes. While I haven't used a 362, according to it's specs, it's a bit over 13lbs. and my 044 is something like 13.7 or13.8 pounds last time I measured it. In fact it's noticeably lighter than my 372XP and thats with both having half wrap and small clutch covers. Why use the 59cc saw for less than half a pound difference? At least thats what I ask myself. By the way Goat, any respectable GTO should be able to beat a 1980 Z28. Maybe even Lance Armstrong. Those aren't anything to brag about beating. Sorry, but it's the truth. Those were some of the worst years/excuse for the Z28 or Corvette. They were something like 16 and 17 second cars, if memory serves me right.

044's are right at 14lbs

1980 Z28's were 17.1 QM'ers

My brother bought a 1970 GTO Ram Air IV with the money from his tobacco crop......he was 16. The only thing that was faster was a hopped up Mach 1 CJ

sawfun9

We just returned home from the takedown as it is now raining in NJ.

Jeremy, my 18 yr old #2 son, did good.

Hey, I bought the Z28 in 1982 because it had T-Tops and I was muscle bound back then. It was a cool beach car. Never bought it for speed, just for the tops & girls - All tops OFF.

OldsawNut - I am now looking for a 036 PRO since I had one but sold it three years ago to get a new MS361 (LIGHT SAW :laugh:) so you are in on this HEAVY MS362 debacle.

I've noticed there are quite a few 044/440 users that (Logicaly) agree to the use of a 70cc 14lb saw over a 59cc 13.6 lb saw. Call me crazy but I see the LOGIC-:bang::msp_thumbup::laugh:

sawfun9

Now beside the GOAT I had I also had a 1969 GRAND PRI with 400/400TT and we buried the 150mph speedometer on RT80 in 1980.

That 69 GP hovered at 100mph going down the highway.

Some ditsy woman totaled it while I was sitting at a red light. Looking back now, she probably saved my life as I had a serious case of LEAD FOOT-ITIS.

27 points on my DL at the age of 19. Man we would race back then.:dizzy:

69 Grand Prix

You want to cry.

I paid $600 for the 69 GP from a one owner with only 54K miles on it in 1980.

It was sitting someone's GrandParent's garage complete with dust.

Oh where did those Dollar Days go too?:popcorn:

Yea I remember those days. I had a big block 68Camaro that would run 11.90's with slicks but us poor kids didn't have the money so I ran cheap street tires and learned to drive the car crossed up at mid 13's. I guess thats why I gravitated to AA/FA's. Anyway had a non stock 409 65 409 Impala and but a big block in my 66 El Camino. Man, that really was a handful. A 4 speed, wide, hard 50's on the back with way too much power. You'd get stuck in the rain like it was ice. We were always scraping nice big block Impalas, Imperials, and LTD's just for the engine. Those were the days, gas crisis= cheap big blocks.

these threads 'which is better' have always been useless, as is the case with this one. Every choice is personal, because of personal preferences.

Why would you buy a new saw that is out of the market for 2 years anyway. The 362 is Stihls new horse in the 60 cc class and in the end a better saw (air filtration, power band, fuel consumption, etc) The few ounces weight differences is a non issue.
Get the 362 and be done with it.

Free stihl saws

In those days before eBay, people would throw out their old/not running STIHL's, like the way people throw out Homelites today.

My buddie would find them alot on garbage day.

bekjan

these threads 'which is better' have always been useless, as is the case with this one. Every choice is personal, because of personal preferences.

Why would you buy a new saw that is out of the market for 2 years anyway. The 362 is Stihls new horse in the 60 cc class and in the end a better saw (air filtration, power band, fuel consumption, etc) The few ounces weight differences is a non issue.
Get the 362 and be done with it.

It is better to stand against STIHL TYRANNY then comply to 'newer is better' without it REALLY being better.

Join our fight for STIHL to up the cc's as they up the weight.:angry:

The saw market is really dictated by forces other than the pro user. The EPA is and issue, but the manufacturers just basically say here is the new saw like it or lump it. Unless it turns out to be a real problem like the Husky 575 then your pretty well stuck with it. After the fact, the manufactures then look at customer preferences through sales, rather than looking at what's desired before they start production.

Stand FIRM

The saw market is really dictated by forces other than the pro user. The EPA is and issue, but the manufacturers just basically say here is the new saw like it or lump it. Unless it turns out to be a real problem like the Husky 575 then your pretty well stuck with it. After the fact, the manufactures then look at customer preferences through sales, rather than looking at what's desired before they start production.

That's why we should hold onto our 036, 360 & 361's and tell STIHL to up the anty (more cc's) on their new saws.

MS261 = 57cc
MS362 = 67cc
MS441 = 80cc

Good luck, but your right about holding on to the old ones. I'm keeping my 024, 026, 044, and 064 obsolete saws.

My REAL WORLD is based on the FACTS ie; weight to power

Go ahead and use your 13.5 pound 59cc MS362.

I 'll use my 13.6 pound 70cc MS440.

You lose, I win. Plain FACTS.

Anybody who has a chance to get a MS361 over the MS362 is making the wiser move, IMO.:laugh:

I believe you have your facts a little scrambled man.

So you just use your 440, and I'll use my 372xpw. Now YOU lose. :hmm3grin2orange:

Now, back to the 362 -vs- 361 discussion. The 362 is more powerful, has better filtration and better fuel economy. And yea, bettter PTW. I wonder if you have actually ran a broken in 362? The power difference is easy to feel. REAL WORLD man. :msp_tongue:

Latest posts

Back