Stihl MS 362 as good as the MS 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but I don't have a pic of the 362(weighs 13lb 4oz). Maybe I will have time tomorrow evening. (and the 036 is a 034)
The scale is dead-nuts accurate. I have a 10 dumbbell that I have taken to work and weighed on the postal scales. My scales at home are less than one ounce in difference. The saws are cleaned, emptied, and flushed bf they were weighed.

Well, an 034 isn't exactly the same saw as an 036 (the specs indicate it is a bit lighter), and the weight of your 361 seem higher than any other 361 I have seen weight results on, unless it is a heated saw with a metal handlebar, or has other "add-ons"? :confused:

Do you guys remember when they issued a new official ping pong ball, slightly bigger ?
they argued that the game was being too "fast" at the point ?
My thought is this : is it possible that in the next 10 years or so to assist to a complete change in chainsaw gear ? I don`t know their plans, and I guess that if all one can buy is the likes of 362, it`ll do just fine. I also don`t know how many chainsaws are in the World or how many run at the time, or how much fuel chainsaws around the world consume or how much would be saved this way and what is the repercussion in penguin savings and rare whales and so forth, but in the end we will all need to go with our times.
And at the end of the day, if a man can put a bread on a table, working with a "environmental friendly slighter heavier" saw...what`s left to say ?
all I understand from this is one nostalgic should rush to the dealer of his choice and stash away few "good" saws to last him for the rest of his life.

there you go : 361, 362, potatoes, potataes.. (is it how you say it ?)

Last edited:
Well, an 034 isn't exactly the same saw as an 036 (the specs indicate it is a bit lighter), and the weight of your 361 seem higher than any other 361 I have seen weight results on, unless it is a heated saw with a metal handlebar, or has other "add-ons"? :confused:

Nope.....totally stock: clutch cover, single dawg, two bar nuts, no heated anything. I have checked that weight a couple of times as you have mentioned this before.

I wonder were that "info" is from, even though the weight of them about fits with that.

The true cc numbers are 50, 59 and 71cc.

Niko,

I think Mr. Goat was telling us what he wanted the cc s to be so that the power/weight ratios would be "right". I'll bet ole Goat knows the "real" numbers. No doubt, you know the "real" numbers.

Why do they always send the poor?

ole joat

these threads 'which is better' have always been useless, as is the case with this one. Every choice is personal, because of personal preferences.

Why would you buy a new saw that is out of the market for 2 years anyway. The 362 is Stihls new horse in the 60 cc class and in the end a better saw (air filtration, power band, fuel consumption, etc) The few ounces weight differences is a non issue.
Get the 362 and be done with it.

+1
I use both. The figures might differ, but they both handle the same job. When comparing saws, I use no scale, no theoretical figures...
Both work really well. My concerns are more down to earth (like the top cover screws coming loose on the 362). Seems to me (no offence), that many people here spend more time on internet (and using scales...) than cutting wood. Again, I use both and cut wood 8 hours a day, 4 days a week (the rest is office work), and don't really notice the weight and power difference. People arguing about a few ounces haven't spend enough time handling saws.
Don't get me wrong, I love chainsaws and collect them (I also have CAD). Nevertheless, all these debates about theoretical figures are good for internet geeks.
Grab the saw, use it 8 hours a day, all year round, and you will notice it cuts wood. Both 361 and 362 will cut that 18" tree. The real question is what parts will you have to change after 200 hours.
Sorry if I offended some, but I had to let it out.
Turn off the scale, turn off the computer, GO OUT AND CUT WOOD.

+1
I use both. The figures might differ, but they both handle the same job. When comparing saws, I use no scale, no theoretical figures...
Both work really well. My concerns are more down to earth (like the top cover screws coming loose on the 362). Seems to me (no offence), that many people here spend more time on internet (and using scales...) than cutting wood. Again, I use both and cut wood 8 hours a day, 4 days a week (the rest is office work), and don't really notice the weight and power difference. People arguing about a few ounces haven't spend enough time handling saws.
Don't get me wrong, I love chainsaws and collect them (I also have CAD). Nevertheless, all these debates about theoretical figures are good for internet geeks.
Grab the saw, use it 8 hours a day, all year round, and you will notice it cuts wood. Both 361 and 362 will cut that 18" tree. The real question is what parts will you have to change after 200 hours.
Sorry if I offended some, but I had to let it out.
Turn off the scale, turn off the computer, GO OUT AND CUT WOOD.

Summer in south Georgia means 95-105° with near 100% humidity. On those days I prefer to cut wood with my computer. It doesn't care what kind of oil, what octane fuel, or how sharp of a chain, I use. BTW, I cut wood several days last summer with shade temps over 100°. We got smarter this year and finished bf the mercury got much above 90#° and there was still some breeze to keep the flocks of gnats out of your face.

I know how that feels. We are not that far from the French Riviera, and we get temps way above 100° every summer. I hate heat but, when you cut wood for a living, you have no choice... Many times I would have preferred being in front of my computer. Unfortunately, you have to make a living... Luckily, this year, it's what tourists call a crappy summer. Hot but not too bad, so far. All those tourists are unhappy but we, local workers, are not!

REAL TIME cc

SawTroll

I know the cc's of all my saws and of ones I am soon to buy - You can forget the MS362.

For me personally & professionaly, POWER to Weight is everything AND I do not need a scale to verify which saws crank the power and are light thus reducing fatigue without sacrificing power.

This is the main point and I hope people will take it to heart as serious as I do and ccreate change at STIHL headquarters.

STIHL developed a new line of saws, made them heavier but did not do the RIGHT (ie; INTELLIGENT) thing by adding more cc's. If STIHL makes this correction and uses the appropriate cc's for at least the three professional models listed below, they would once again be #1. :msp_thumbup:

MS261 = 57cc
MS362 = 70cc
MS441 = 80cc

I've got no time behind a 362 but I hear they cut good .

I almost bought this one but decided it cut too good .

191838d1311505633-im-selling-stiht-ms362-chainsaw-jpg

I've got my new 440, still taped in the box. I heard the limited 440 run will last a while.:clap:

SawTroll

I know the cc's of all my saws and of ones I am soon to buy - You can forget the MS362.

For me personally & professionaly, POWER to Weight is everything AND I do not need a scale to verify which saws crank the power and are light thus reducing fatigue without sacrificing power.

This is the main point and I hope people will take it to heart as serious as I do and ccreate change at STIHL headquarters.

STIHL developed a new line of saws, made them heavier but did not do the RIGHT (ie; INTELLIGENT) thing by adding more cc's. If STIHL makes this correction and uses the appropriate cc's for at least the three professional models listed below, they would once again be #1. :msp_thumbup:

MS261 = 57cc
MS362 = 70cc
MS441 = 80cc
man you are right, stihl doesn't know anything when it comes to putting a good saw on the market. that is why they are hurting so badly for market share. they should just stop all production,and wait for you to get it right for them. if you actually feel that a 362 is so heavy that you can't handle it, you should probably look for something else to do. maybe you could go back to selling girl scout cookies, or driving an ice creme truck. i bet if you email stihls' tech dept. right now, they will stop everything until you get there. now, my old 076 super, that is a heavy saw. the new stihl saws are way nicer to operate/run compared to the old dinosaurs.

Hey smart arse STIHLTHEDEER,

OH GEE I'd rather have the new improved 362 that weighs as much as my 440 up in the tree (when needed) - Good for you, but your missing the point. Usually happens when the cranial is asleep.

Back to reality.

If STIHL increased the cc's as I suggested, everyone on here would be raving about how 'GREAT' a move it was by STIHL to do so. Pro's would be restocking with the NEW & IMPROVED STIHLS because of the great power advantage (Less time cutting = More $$$) as well as the other fine features. Just as the 044 replaced the 038. WHY? Lighter & more power even though both are 70cc saws.

My SOLO 681 beats the pants off the STIHL MS441 and they weigh the same. There is no reason to have a 441 when there are BETTER saws out there P2W.
My MS440 beats the pants off of the MS362 about the same weight. No reason to buy a 362.

Since I am a professional arborist and time is money - the lighter more powerful saws bring about the best performance. That is why the MS200T is KING in the tree, and becasue the MS200T is the KING we Pro's pay the $650 to have them.:msp_thumbup:

hey smart arse stihlthedeer,

oh gee i'd rather have the new improved 362 that weighs as much as my 440 up in the tree (when needed) - good for you, but your missing the point. Usually happens when the cranial is asleep.

Back to reality.

If stihl increased the cc's as i suggested, everyone on here would be raving about how 'great' a move it was by stihl to do so. Pro's would be restocking with the new & improved stihls because of the great power advantage (less time cutting = more $$$) as well as the other fine features. Just as the 044 replaced the 038. Why? Lighter & more power even though both are 70cc saws.

My solo 681 beats the pants off the stihl ms441 and they weigh the same. There is no reason to have a 441 when there are better saws out there p2w.
My ms440 beats the pants off of the ms362 about the same weight. No reason to buy a 362.

Since i am a professional arborist and time is money - the lighter more powerful saws bring about the best performance. That is why the ms200t is king in the tree, and becasue the ms200t is the king we pro's pay the $650 to have them.:msp_thumbup:
hey there "pro" your 200 is obsolete, it has been replaced by the 201, your a pro alright..........

Hey GTO, take a ms362 and a ms440 and wiegh them with full tanks and the same bar and chain, see what you come up with. What would saw companies do for saws if they upped the cc's as you stated. Just do away with the class. I'm not brand loyal, most strato's do gain a few ounces so what? They do return a power and fuel usage advantage. A few ounces to the average cutter, man or woman just does't matter.

I'm going to jump I here again. I don't think anyone is saying that a 362 is too heavy to use. I certainly am not. What is being said, is that in a head to head comparison tue 362 weighs more. Enough that it has almost moved itself out of it's niche class. Am I going to get rid of mine? No, it still serves it's purpose. Would I replace it with a 440 when it dies? That depends on whether or not I'm going to be the operator. As an owner it provides the benefit of being cheaper to buy and run. And by the end of the day my operator wouldn't have cut any more with a 440 than he did with the 362.

SawTroll

MS261 = 57cc
MS362 = 70cc
MS441 = 80cc

Seems that you are very convinced about the 362 being a loser, hence I don't really understand the purpose of your original question (or thread). Oh, you probably wanted to start another worthless Stihl bashing thread....
It's because of posters like you that many valuable members, who really added value to this forum, have left the scene.

Make sure next time you choose your thread title correctly, so that people know what you are really up to, and don't waste their time.

belgian

Are you brain dead?

I am a STIHL owner for twenty years, greatly enjoy my MS200T, MS361, MS440, 064, MS660, BR420 and ABSOLUTELY not a STIHL basher.

But I think and use my mind, unlike you. I acknowlege QUALITY in a product and think about making it better.

I guess you were not able to comprehend the discussion and therefore felt it necessary to 'bash' a fellow member. You take a stance against someone without a valid basis - REAL PRO you are.

:eek:uttahere2:

Back