Stihl ms 650 thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bone705

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found a 650 on my local cragslist. "Stihl MS650 chainsaw with big bore kit 98 cc extra cylinder extra had tons of accessories everything goes with it three bars all the chains ,files, oil, extra parts etc ". Bars are Stihl 20,28,36". He is asking $600 for it. For comparison in my area I can buy a new 660 with 28" bar for $1000. Does the 650 have the same bottom end as the 660?

I found a 650 on my local cragslist. "Stihl MS650 chainsaw with big bore kit 98 cc extra cylinder extra had tons of accessories everything goes with it three bars all the chains ,files, oil, extra parts etc ". Bars are Stihl 20,28,36". He is asking $600 for it. For comparison in my area I can buy a new 660 with 28" bar for $1000. Does the 650 have the same bottom end as the 660?

It is the same saw as the 660 with the exception that it is 84 CC stock. If I were you I would look for a stock saw not one with a big bore kit.

I have a MS 650 in great shape. Is it a great and reliable saw? Yes. I use it often and its a good saw. It has more torque than my MS460. I also bought it for $250 at a pawn shop. So look around you will find one at a good price somewhere.

Yea from what I hear the aftermarket quality is pretty hit and miss. After talking to him is not seeming like such a good deal. Been sitting for a couple years with gas in it. Needs cleaned out now.

A local buddy told me that's the third or fourth time that same saw has been posted. Not that that's a bad thing, but it means one of two things; he's either firm on the price, or isn't getting much interest. If you do like the saw it may be worth checking out to ease/confirm any fears about the aftermarket kit quality and possibly make an offer.

It seems, at least around here, that saws with published modifications get very little interest - must scare people? That's bad for (honest) sellers, but good for buyers who don't mind!

He said it won't start due to sitting. That's way more then I want to pay for one I have to work on first.

I bought this saw took it home and cleaned the carb and it is a power house of a saw! plus he had the stock jug and piston for it and probly a couple hundred dollars worth of extras with it. I think it was worth $600

Good to hear. Now I don't have to think about it anymore. He said all it needed was a carb cleaning but my luck never turns out to be something simple.

yea it was a gamble taking his word that it just needed the carb cleaned but he was honest about it and im very glad i got it and look forward to using it

I've got one 650. I paid $900 for the 650 and a similar condition 460 at a pawn shop about a year ago. I have never run the 650 since I have 7 other 66's.

If the seller won't present the saw in running condition, I wouldn't go anywhere near it for $600. Might be the carb, but it also could be a toasted top end. Too much risk for too much money. Also indicates that the current owner doesn't take care of his equipment.

didn't read the thread did you?:msp_unsure:

up here, a busted up worn out parts 650/660 wil bring 6 bills easily. no idea why, but they don't sit long when posted on what ever site the seller wants to use to sell it. had a 660 missing the piston, cylinder, carb and top covers mostly apart in a box. needed crank bearings and seals. guy was more than happy to give me $500 for it.
if you know what to look for, it's pretty easy to figure out if it's a hidden deal or not.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out for the OP, but, knowing my luck, $600 is too risky for me personally for a non-running saw.

that's why it sometimes pays to go and have a look. if it isn't up to your standards, walk away, no harm done but some time and fuel burned. lots of very good deals found this way. this was one of them. sometimes you have to look past the price to see the saw.

It is the same saw as the 660 with the exception that it is 84 CC stock. If I were you I would look for a stock saw not one with a big bore kit.

I have a MS 650 in great shape. Is it a great and reliable saw? Yes. I use it often and its a good saw. It has more torque than my MS460. I also bought it for $250 at a pawn shop. So look around you will find one at a good price somewhere.

Wow how old was it that was a awesome deal. I have a650 and a660 I love them both the 650 is like brand new only like 4 hours on it. But I I'm so surprised that is all you payed. Would love to know how old your is. That was a crazy good deal.

Wow how old was it that was a awesome deal. I have a650 and a660 I love them both the 650 is like brand new only like 4 hours on it. But I I'm so surprised that is all you payed. Would love to know how old your is. That was a crazy good deal.

Doubt we will ever know. The guy who says he bought it has only the two posts shown above which were almost 5 years ago.

Welcome to AS. Lot of good information tucked away here and there on this site. Ron

Back