Stihl MS180 Throttle Linkage Retainer Clip Broken

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebel1986

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a Stihl MS180C. The plastic retainer clip that holds my throttle linkage in place has broken off. I have no idea where this happened and don't have the broken piece. Anyone have any ideas of how i could get the throttle linkage to stay in place? I've tried to use JB plasticweld (putty) and then dremel into shape of a hook with no success. No luck with zip ties either. Saw is in good running shape but it's impossible to start and i'm sure would be difficult to turn off. Hate to have to purchase a new saw when this one is in perfect running condition. The only other option i know at this point is to buy a replacement tank housing. Sure would be a lot of trouble to tear down the saw to replace housing over one small clip. Thanks for the help in advance!

Pictures 1 and 2 are where the clip is broken. Last photo is how is it suppose to attach.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 16
Could possibly be plastic welded and fixed up... I have one in the shop with the same issue I think. I’ll take a look at it soon.

There is an easy fix for your broken control latch :) search the following on YouTube for a tutorial on how to fix it!

“How To Fix the Main Control Latch On A Stihl Chainsaw - with Taryl”

Even though I’m very new to the forum and chainsaw fixing, it’s nice to be able to help out where I can hehe
:crazy2:

Back