Stihl MS200T Idling Trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillClimb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My new saw is running fine except for one problem - when I clip the saw to my saddle and the blade hangs down, it stalls the saw. For some reason whenever the bar points down, the engine sounds like it starts choking and usually shuts off. When the saw is level though, it runs fine.
Any adjustments that I can make to remedy this?

I keep hearing HUSKYMAN's words echoing in my ears, "...if you want your saw to idle right, buy a Husky..."

It only does it when pointing down, not upside down or sideways? On an older saw that is how you check for an air leak, if it runs different or stalls that is usually what it means. Though now that I think about it, the Huskies run fine in all positions. You are lucky that Stihl runs at all! Seriously, though, it should run in all directions, upside down, etc.

Try leaning out the idle mixture just a little. Sometimes a rich mixture will build up in the crankcase and when you turn the saw different ways (or hang it ) the excess fuel chokes out the saw.

Just check the fuel line in the tank. Sounds like its stuck on the back part of the tank. Or its 1/2 full of fuel. Or is it 1/2 empty.

Yeah, what Sonny said. The fuel pickup should be able to flop around in the tank so it always falls to the bottom and picks up all the fuel. If it is wedged in a back corner, it won't pick up the fuel when the saw hangs.
If that or a minor adjustment on the low end screw doesn't fix it, return it to the dealer and demonstrate the problem.

Why would it be a problem if the saw idled out when hanging this way? Dont you turn your chainsaw off before hanging it up anyway?

Yes, J- I always shut off my saw to hang it on my belt, even if only for 1 second. I also always have both hands on the saw whenever it is running, I am always double tied even if only 3 feet off the ground, and I even have the little guard bolted to the end of my bar to prevent kickback even if it means not being able to cut more than 11 inches with a 14" bar. At least this is so whenever the safety inspector is around! ;)

Well, I took it to the dealer yesterday and he made a minor adjustment to the idle screw. It seems to have taken care of the problem. If it happens again, then I'll check the fuel line.

You know, it's something I've really never thought about, about the running saw clipped to my belt, but it makes perfect sense.
I'm wasting gas, it makes unnecessary noise, and there's always the chance that the chain could move (which happens when my Echo is running out of fuel), or the possibility of a twig hitting the trigger on the saw.
For now on, the saw turns off when not in use!

Oh, and just for the record, if I ever say anything on this site that could be misleading to a young climber, or is a clear indication that I'm doing something unsafe or just plain wrong, don't hesitate to let me know. I am here to learn and I refuse to pass off bad habits to others in the process.

Yeah, like you guys would hold back for a minute! Ha! :laugh:

Back