STIHL MS200T or 192T?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old-cat

Fir Man
Reaction score
I have an old RedMax G3100T that runs just like new but I'm looking ahead, when I'll need to replace it.
I like the price of the MS192 but I don't like EZ start crap. I also don't want a troublesome carb.
Which one has the accelerater pump?

No accelerator pump on the MS 192 T C-E that I'm aware of. The easy to start system is reliable and convenient for me, it makes the saw feel like it has no compression. I used my 192 for about two years while I looked for a 200T. When I finally got one, replaced all the rubber, I was able to move the 192 on for $250, not a bad deal to me...

I have a 192 that lives in my 4-wheeler. I love it because it is very light (lighter than the 200) and starts very easily every time. I have only done a MM on it because with that saw it's not really about power, it's the light weight that makes it easy to use, like 7 pounds. Just use it to trim and de-limb, use a bigger saw to cut logs with...My friend has one and he uses it for everything even to cut trees with!

old-cat...I have both of them. I bought both used from a Stihl dealer in Michigan. He takes saws in trade in the winter...goes through 'em...
with carb kit...super nice dressed bar...( replaced with new bar if necessary )...new chain...then sells them on eBay.

I paid $150 for the 192T and $300 for the 200T. Both run perfect. He hasn't sold much of anything this year so NO help for you there,

You can find lightly used 192T's on eBay all the time for ~ $150 -- 200T's are now going WAY higher...like in crazy too high.

I use my 192T more than the 200T. _ As for crappy carbs...both these saws gave had their problems
( I believe the 200T has had at least 11 different carbs on them...but it's a performance saw - I can't say about the 192T...mine works fine..!! )

J2F

A guy came and bought a 200t I had for sale on CL, He is an arborist and just gave(yes for free) me a 192tc that had been smashed by a tree. The engine looks great. So does the starter, flywheel and coil/ module. I can pick up a complete 192tce that needs a P/C for 100.00. My question to you guys that are familiar with this saw- is it worth it? I have more time than money or sense so doing the engine swap is no big deal. I was going to keep a 200T for a nice little saw that just stays in my truck toolbox for a "just in case saw". Will the 192 fit that bill? Is it even close to the performance of the 200T? I am very familiar with the 200T, and I can't believe how well it performs. It is the mightiest little saw I have ever used . I have a 63PS55 chain on it and have removed 15" fallen timber from our hunting trail with no problem(and pretty darn quickly too). would the 192 even be able to run that B/C combo? Thanks for any advice on this.

A guy came and bought a 200t I had for sale on CL, He is an arborist and just gave(yes for free) me a 192tc that had been smashed by a tree. The engine looks great. So does the starter, flywheel and coil/ module. I can pick up a complete 192tce that needs a P/C for 100.00. My question to you guys that are familiar with this saw- is it worth it? I have more time than money or sense so doing the engine swap is no big deal. I was going to keep a 200T for a nice little saw that just stays in my truck toolbox for a "just in case saw". Will the 192 fit that bill? Is it even close to the performance of the 200T? I am very familiar with the 200T, and I can't believe how well it performs. It is the mightiest little saw I have ever used . I have a 63PS55 chain on it and have removed 15" fallen timber from our hunting trail with no problem(and pretty darn quickly too). would the 192 even be able to run that B/C combo? Thanks for any advice on this.
Performance is not close...but they are well worth 100 especially if time to swap out the motor is not a concern. I did chunk an elm down with a 192...up until I hit 12 inch rounds...I tried the 192 in those and had a cup of coffee waiting to complete the back cut...then I got a different saw:)

Will the 192 be fine for a truck saw? Hell yes. For clipping small stuff, there is no noticeable difference. Save the money.

For light pruning a 192t is great, its light, well balanced and if you do the muffler and timing it revs well, hasn't got very big balls though and feels a little bit cheap.

200t is a little heavier otherwise it beats it hands down.

Well, I just made an offer for one for $270. I haven't found any $150 bargains. My little RedMax has a reed valve and I think the STIHL is going to run better?? Same 30 cc size.
I just weighed the RedMax complete saw is 10 lbs, so I think I'm going to like the lighter STIHL.

The accelerator pump. There was a thread about that, but I searched w/o success. It squirts gas into the air stream and the STIHL thing is evidently troublesome.

OK I found it in the service manual ! looks like a PIA to replace(I hate to mess with the throttle shaft, and always worry about disturbing the factory seal on the shaft screw). Is this going to give me problems down the road and do I need it? Thanks

For light pruning a 192t is great, its light, well balanced and if you do the muffler and timing it revs well, hasn't got very big balls though and feels a little bit cheap.

200t is a little heavier otherwise it beats it hands down.

Well said.

Whether you should use a 200t or 192t depends on the size of wood you need to cut. Usually tree companies use a 200 for removals and 192 for light trimming. I'd say under 3-4 inchs use the smaller saw. Yes it will cut bigger, but it is harder on the saw and less productive time wise. The biggest issue is usually the wallet upon purchase. The bigger saw will do anything the smaller will but not vice versa.

thanks, I am keeping the 200 and selling the 192, as a truck saw, it may get worked a little hard from time to time. It sounds like the pro saw can handle it better than the 192.
I have a ported MS 460 that I bring if I am planning to cut wood.

Well the 192 turned out pretty nice! I t seems to cut pretty well too! But I am still gonna keep the 200 for myself, it just feels like a higher quality saw and definitely has more power. I can see why those crazy tree climbers love them. The 192 even with all the plastic seems pretty much the same weight, but I am not cutting one handed sixty feet in a tree for hours. I have a little duffle bag that the 200 fits perfect in and will fit nice behind the seat in my truck, stay there for a month and start right up on the third pull if I need it. I love Stihls!

I have an old 019T I use for climbing. It works for the occasional use I give it. If I climbed every day (or even every week) I'd have something with more guts. It's light, it starts, it cuts the wood, the wood falls. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back