Stihl ms201t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for some feed back on the up dated Stihl MS 201T. I tried one out at the local saw shop and wasn"t very impressed with it's output.Just want too mention that the saw had not been completly run in yet and was not fully jetted up, so it may not have been the best demo in the world. How do they compair to the MS 200T's? Is there any modifications that can be done to increase output. The Dealers are completly soldout of 200T's and in need of replacments soon. Thanks for any imput.

Looking for some feed back on the up dated Stihl MS 201T. I tried one out at the local saw shop and wasn"t very impressed with it's output.Just want too mention that the saw had not been completly run in yet and was not fully jetted up, so it may not have been the best demo in the world. How do they compair to the MS 200T's? Is there any modifications that can be done to increase output. The Dealers are completly soldout of 200T's and in need of replacments soon. Thanks for any imput.

There is a thread here about modding the 201 t it involved opening up the muffler ,taking the limiter off the high jet and going out more,a timing advance and I think leaning the low screw in a bit.I prefer the MS200ts not a fan of spending a lot of money for something that needs to be fixed before you start using it.That is a lot of money for a little saw and it by all rights should rip.

have always loved the 200t's,would buy a new one in a heart beat. They are discontinuing the 200t's and have had no luck finding replacments.So would like to hear any feedback on the performance of the 201t's. Was also wondering if any parts are transferable between the two saws,"mufflers, fuel tanks, handle bars etc".Furthermore how the freezing temps affect them?

FYI the discontinuance of the MS200T was July......

The last distribution of them happened around Hurricane Irene.

We're stuck with the 201 now so lets get them tuned and modded up!

Basically a hybrid of 192 styling with the 020, 200 engine................yeah it`ll run great but the body will fall apart in no time, IMHO they`re junk & I run all Stihl saws!!!!!!

LXT.............

Basically a hybrid of 192 styling with the 020, 200 engine................yeah it`ll run great but the body will fall apart in no time, IMHO they`re junk & I run all Stihl saws!!!!!!

LXT.............

They are far from junk (200t), best top handle ever made.

I knew it!I have yet to hear a good report on the 201T

ya don't waste your money I'm gonna send a 338xp out and have it modded so it will run like a 200 or a little better.

i just sent both my 362's out to have another 250.00 $ worth of mods done to them so their even worth having stihl really let me down on the 201 and 362. had to spend an extra 500 to make the 362's worth running.

also got to talk to a cool saw guy from the forums thats gonna mod them ill let you guys know how they run when i get them back. their getting ported compression turned up and some other stuff that i don't know what is.

Last edited:

LXT.............

Have ya run one? 192? Looks way more like a 200t than a 192t. I just fixed 3 192t's for a large local company, they can't hold the jock strap of a 200/201. They are the real turd of the stihl tophandle lineup.

And, it runs better than a 200 when you do the mods Snelling posted. I bought one, modded it and it runs very nice, smoother too. I'm not worried about the 200t being gone now. They both seem to be good saws if you can do some basic saw work. No rocket science.

I might be in the minority, because I do all my own saw work, along with using them to make money doing tree work and firewood. There not just a tool to me though, I collect and fix close to 70 a year. So I'm not scared to give it a try or void a warranty. My dealers take care of me anyways.

ya don't waste your money I'm gonna send a 338xp out and have it modded so it will run like a 200 or a little better.

i just sent both my 362's out to have another 250.00 $ worth of mods done to them so their even worth having stihl really let me down on the 201 and 362. had to spend an extra 500 to make the 362's worth running.

also got to talk to a cool saw guy from the forums thats gonna mod them ill let you guys know how they run when i get them back. their getting ported compression turned up and some other stuff that i don't know what is.

The 338xp is a decent saw, husky has finally worked out all the kinks that lots suffered with 334/335. There still is the problem of the carb being mounted in front, but keep the filter clean and it should work out well.

Who did you send your saws off to? Eric Copsey just did a 362 and it is lightning fast.

The 338xp is a decent saw, husky has finally worked out all the kinks that lots suffered with 334/335. There still is the problem of the carb being mounted in front, but keep the filter clean and it should work out well.

Who did you send your saws off to? Eric Copsey just did a 362 and it is lightning fast.

stumpy from the chainsaw side i think I'm gonna have all mine done. sent two 362's gonna send 2 more 200's tomorrow.

I'm really hoping they scream when its done we bought those saws when they first came out they have less than 5 hours on them to weak out of the box.

Last edited:
Have ya run one? 192? Looks way more like a 200t than a 192t. I just fixed 3 192t's for a large local company, they can't hold the jock strap of a 200/201. They are the real turd of the stihl tophandle lineup.

And, it runs better than a 200 when you do the mods Snelling posted. I bought one, modded it and it runs very nice, smoother too. I'm not worried about the 200t being gone now. They both seem to be good saws if you can do some basic saw work. No rocket science.

I might be in the minority, because I do all my own saw work, along with using them to make money doing tree work and firewood. There not just a tool to me though, I collect and fix close to 70 a year. So I'm not scared to give it a try or void a warranty. My dealers take care of me anyways.

Yes Ive ran a 192..............own 2 of em along with an 020 & 200T & many more............the new 201 has a lot of 192 features is what im saying, the spring on the low end of the handle....like a 192, the body design...like a 192............yes the 201 can be made to run better...but who cares when the case is falling apart!!!! I to do all my own saw work & my father had a shop for more years than I am old.............that dont mean chiot, climb with that 201 & drag it through the tree, see if when you`re swinging around if it will take the abuse of the 020 or 200T.............Cause it wont!!!!

The stihl shop(s) I frequent have many of the 201`s sitting in the repair bin tagged & waiting for handle springs , replacement cases, etc.. They`re Junk!!!! unless you run em like they`re wearing a skirt, then you`ll be ok!

LXT..............

Yes Ive ran a 192..............own 2 of em along with an 020 & 200T & many more............the new 201 has a lot of 192 features is what im saying, the spring on the low end of the handle....like a 192, the body design...like a 192............yes the 201 can be made to run better...but who cares when the case is falling apart!!!! I to do all my own saw work & my father had a shop for more years than I am old.............that dont mean chiot, climb with that 201 & drag it through the tree, see if when you`re swinging around if it will take the abuse of the 020 or 200T.............Cause it wont!!!!

The stihl shop(s) I frequent have many of the 201`s sitting in the repair bin tagged & waiting for handle springs , replacement cases, etc.. They`re Junk!!!! unless you run em like they`re wearing a skirt, then you`ll be ok!

LXT..............
They aint been out that long to have many of them needing repairs that tells me they break.

They aint been out that long to have many of them needing repairs that tells me they break.

Well I should be honest, of the 2 dealerships I go to there are or were 5 201`s needing repairs, 2 of em from the same company, the feedback is they`re just not as durable..........as far as running, yeah they run comparable or if modded run better....But a modded new saw just lost its warranty!!!

Im with Matt in the thought of going to the husky tree saw......or atleast try it out! sooner or later stihls best tree saw will meet its match & with the 201...........it wont be long!!!

LXT...............

What are good mods for the 200?

I just bought a 192 at a pawn shop for $80. That makes three, but one's a parts saw and one needs the case from the parts saw. The 192 is my backup tree saw. I have two 200s but one needs a diaphragm. I'm thinking about having that 200 re-worked for performance and mounting the new lightweight 16" bar on it.

Latest posts

Back