Stihl ms211 oiling problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenM

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought an ms211 stihl saw and am having oiling problems. It has already had the bar replaced along with two chains. My stihl dealer told me he has cleaned the oil pump twice and when I picked it up the last time he showed me how much oil the saw was putting out by running it wide open against a piece of cardboard. The amount of oil was very minimal but he said that was all I was going to get. He told me that if I cut oak that I would need to buy a 14" bar that maybe there was enough oil to keep a shorter bar oiled without burning. That doesn't sound right. I have used stihl saws for 30 years and have never had a problem like this. Has anyonelse had this problem and if so please tell me how you fixed it. This saw is three months old and has a 16" bar.
It will use approx. 1 tank of oil to four tanks of gas.
Thanks

That sounds like your bar oil to fuel ratio is waaaaayyy off. Should be more like 1:1. Or close to 1:1. I'm not sure if your saw has an adjustable oiler, you may want to check into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you check the tank vent? If vent Is bad then you tank will be under vacuum not allowing proper flow

Have you check the tank vent? If vent Is bad then you tank will be under vacuum not allowing proper flow
Thanks for the reply. No I have not checked the tank vent. This saw has the new style gas and oil caps, is the vent in the cap or somewhere else?
Thanks again...

Cant remember I'll send the service manuals when I get home it shows how to test the oil tank vent

I've had my Deuce Eleven for a few years. All I cut is oak, elm, and hickory. Never had a bit of problem with any kind of Bar Oil put through it.
Stihl sells a Premium BAR OIL for the same price , not the orange bottle , but a silver bottle. It holds to the bar better, and makes a big difference.
IMG_0770_1.JPG

Here is Stihl's Platinum oil. I bought a new saw last fall , and took it to the woods. Soon as i refilled the bar/chain oil tank, my bar got hot in the cut. I went back to the shop, asked the Tech what bar oil he put into the saw. Platinum. I got some and put it in the saw. No problem. My other oil was too thick. Here's what I use now. Note the price difference from 2015 to 2016. :surprised3:Yikes.
Stihl Platinum Bar Oil.jpg

Here is Stihl's Platinum oil. I bought a new saw last fall , and took it to the woods. Soon as i refilled the bar/chain oil tank, my bar got hot in the cut. I went back to the shop, asked the Tech what bar oil he put into the saw. Platinum. I got some and put it in the saw. No problem. My other oil was too thick. Here's what I use now. Note the price difference from 2015 to 2016. :surprised3:Yikes.
View attachment 507408
Looks like they think a lot of their bar oil, but if it works it is worth it. Thanks for the reply.

make sure your hoses are free of debris. (considering the saw is only 3mo. old, I doubt its clogged up..)
see if your oil pump has an adjustment screw (you'll find it underneath the saw). it controls the amount of oil the saw puts out.
make sure oil pump clip is in the correct groove of the sprocket.
your oil pump has a clip (small metal rod) that sits in a groove within your sprocket. (worm ring & gear) so when the sprocket spins, it also spins the oil pump, which pumps the oil..

if everything looks good, might just have to try replacing the oil pump. I know its only 3 months old, but could just have been a bad graveyard batch...
good luck

see if your oil pump has an adjustment screw (you'll find it underneath the saw). it controls the amount of oil the saw puts out.
good luck
Hello Tree94. I think only the STIHL Pro saws have the Bar Oil Adjust Screw. For sure my Deuce Eleven doesn't have one.

make sure your hoses are free of debris. (considering the saw is only 3mo. old, I doubt its clogged up..)
make sure oil pump clip is in the correct groove of the sprocket.
your oil pump has a clip (small metal rod) that sits in a groove within your sprocket. (worm ring & gear) so when the sprocket spins, it also spins the oil pump, which pumps the oil..

if everything looks good, might just have to try replacing the oil pump. I know its only 3 months old, but could just have been a bad graveyard batch...
good luck
I talked to my dealer today and now he says he wants to give me a new saw. I asked him why he wouldn't want to put a new pump in it and he said that wouldn't do any good, go figure. Thank you for a very good reply.

I've had my Deuce Eleven for a few years. All I cut is oak, elm, and hickory. Never had a bit of problem with any kind of Bar Oil put through it.
Stihl sells a Premium BAR OIL for the same price , not the orange bottle , but a silver bottle. It holds to the bar better, and makes a big difference.
View attachment 507397
Sage how many tanks of gas does your 211 use to one tank of oil?

Latest posts

Back