Stihl MS251 Oiler Performance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello,

Working on my first one of these. The oil pump was salvaged from a parts saw with a burnt up motor but looks like it had considerable usage.

The pump does flow oil but I was surprised it was only about 1/4 - 1/3 tank of oil to tank of gas. This seems too stingy. It had a razor sharp chain and was cutting bar buried fairly dry red oak. The bar never smoked but definitely looked dry. I am wondering if it has sawdust / crud built up in the pump that is decreasing the oil flow.

Can anyone else that has one of these shed light on the performance of the oiler?

Thanks,
Steve

I have the MS 251 and MS 251C and they both oil as you describe. My saws cut great and have no symptoms of under oiling. The oil spray when I test on cardboard is definitely less than my Echos but must be quite adequate.

Same observation with my husky 450 mk2.....

These modern EPA/Bio/Eco saws seems to be all the same....

I had to re-drill its oil pump on both sides (pickup & delivery side) from OEM 1.5mm hole to 3mm.....plus I drilled additional pickup holes on the bar itself....and now it oils just enough (would still like more oil on the bar)...

P. S. : yes I know for a 455/460 oilpump conversion...

I have the MS 251 and MS 251C and they both oil as you describe. My saws cut great and have no symptoms of under oiling. The oil spray when I test on cardboard is definitely less than my Echos but must be quite adequate.
Thanks for the real world data point! As this saw will eventually go to a volunteer trail maintainer I would like to make sure it is 100% before I turn it over.

Latest posts

Back