Stihl MS260 Pro buying used for $190 USD thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt889

Reaction score
Heya peoples! This is my first posting here, I have been a lurker reading up on different saws and your guys info is invaluable to me in regards to many saws that I have researched before buying. I am selling my old Echo CS-8000 today for $210 USD with a 36" Bar on it, its too much saw for 95% of what I do.

I have an opportunity to buy a Stihl MS260 Pro model with freshly sharpened chain and runs good for $190 USD. I do not have alot of money and I need a saw that I can go out and cut for 6 hours a day on the days that I go out, well, 4-6 hours, and I need a dependable saw that will just keep working.

What are ya'lls thoughts about this? I do not have alot of money, and I am actually up in Canada but I think this is mostly a USA site so I converted my numbers to USD, Its actually $260 CAD is what i'll be paying for this saw.

Background: I will be gathering firewood in large quantities, 20+ cord per year, could easily be double or triple that, I have right now a Stihl MS250 that I loaned to a friend, he didn't adjust the idle or anything and there was no blue smoke and the piston and or cylinder are now fried or... something! So I am looking for a Pro saw or "good" dependable saw I can run as my main saw and I'll use my MS250 as my backup once its fixed.

$190 is not too bad. You can come across them around here for around $150. They are good little saws, I have one and I love it. I have a 20 inch bar on mine. It would be better suited with a 16 or 18 though.

i have 2 026s i run and i use a 18 on mine what size wood do you usually cut ?

I have the 0h26 if the bar fits il try it but I prefer to piss rev in 2 3 inch branch collars lol. It is my second hand in tree saw or was till I got my 360t. Now it is a project saw and last call back up saw

shows good deals can be had, but if 190 USD is decent, I'll get it as I am dead in the water now and up here in BC Canada on this little Island I live on (well, Vancouver Island, not soo little) Pro used saws are hard to come by in good shape! Most guys don't get rid of them!

Oh, and most of the wood I cut is a mix of hardwood and soft, Douglas Fir is 80+ % of what I cut, most logs are between 14-18" wide, few bigger pieces that I don't mind going at from both sides if needed, just want the saw to be able to chew, and keep on chewin!

yes it is alot of wood but the op said he doesnt have much money maybe he can get this one to work until he can afford a bigger saw like a 361 or 036

That's a decent price for that saw. New they're a $500 saw so it's in the ballpark for an 026/MS260. Couldn't buy one for that price around here. (more like $250 or more)
Nothing wrong with the 025 either if you get it squared away. Similar displacement.

If the saw is in good, healthy running condition that is a fair price for a 260. One of the better firewood saws out there, IMO. If you take care of it, feed it quality fuel and mix, and tuned well it should cut 20-30 cord a season for many years.

Back