Stihl ms260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 026/260 never was a really reliable saw, it had a lot of troubles during its close to 30 year "carrear"!

It lasted in the same basic form for 30 years. Few other saws models can say that. I admit the A/V, the power and The air filtration may be a little better on the current saws. But to refer to it as unreliable is just wrong. I have 2 and they are the most used saws i have. They have been the most trouble free saws i own. I am not picking a fight here. Just stating my personal experience.:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

i'm a Stihl head, and i will admit i have seen threads on here relating to carb issues on the 026/260. i will not however say that they were plagued with carb trouble. after all, i've never had any trouble with mine. in fact every 026/260 that i know of personally is running good today.

great saw, and $225 is a darn good price!

The 026/260 never was a really reliable saw, it had a lot of troubles during its close to 30 year "carrear"!

Even the single screw adjustable carb 260 models are reliable....they just aren't well suited to muffler mods or porting. Swapping out an earlier or later carb is an easy bolt on.

Last edited:
026 16 years same spark plug main saw for 13 years at least 10 cords of wood each year never missed a beat , finally changed spark plug becouse i thought i should . I guess i should have along time ago since it is not reliable oh well I guess no one told my 026 it was unreliable:laugh:

1993 Stihl 026 stock
stihl ms361 muffler mod

Lots of troubles, such as? Since I have sold 100's of 026's and 260's over the years I can safely say your post there is 100% BS. Course 99.9% of your posts pertaining to Stihl are BS but yes we know, when sales are down over at your camp the BS gets deeper,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Speaking of the 260 though I gotta tell you this Sawtroll. Two young guys came in this past Saturday. One bluntly blurts out why should I buy a 260 over a 346. I go whatcha mean. He goes I just came from a Husky dealer and they have 346's and they told me its a much better saw than a 260. I go really, how so. He says they say its a faster cutting saw. I go it is, it does cut faster than a 260 but a better saw overall how so? He's all the sudden stumped. I go did they tell you the ones with the cat mufflers aren't so hot in the cut, he says no. I go did they tell you its a single ring saw, he goes whattttttt. I go yes, its a single ring saw. Then he says well they say the bar and chain on the 346 is better than the bar and chain on the Stihl's. I go really. I go did they tell you Husky doesn't even make their own bars and chains at all, they use rebadge Oregon. He goes are you serious. I go yup. I hope he's happy with his new 260. Goes to show BS doesn't sell, facts do...

OK... Everybody who has had reliability issues with the 026/260... please speak up...

(sound of crickets chirping)

:notrolls2:

OK... Everybody who has had reliability issues with the 026/260... please speak up...

Well........I have found it necessary to tighten my chain on occasion. And then there was that time I had to get the chain sharpened........and I have had to clean the filter sometimes.

I have needed to occasionally fill mine up with mix and bar oil. I did wipe it off once but that was purely due to vanity.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I had a little trouble with my flippy cap the other day on the oil side. not sure what the deal was but now it works

My 026 is old and ugly but runs pretty!!!

I actually sold my stihl ms361 and husky 359 because my 026 does what I need. But,that ms261 has my attention.

Mine wouldn't start under water??

Also it has taken as many as three pulls to start it.

Sam

Any saw that will not start underwater is not considered reliable in a marine setting. I keep a chainsaw on my boat for emergencies, (or if I score some firewood while fishing) but it is a very special marine chainsaw.

It is hydro-electric. It has a turbine that is powered by the energy of the saw sinking through the water.

This is a reliable saw, in certain, specialized situations.

Unreliable??? Really? The 026/260 series is as reliable as they come. I know about 10 personally that have run 5-6 days a week for years and have had no problems.. I have a 1993 that has a fair amount of use and still has the original plug and carb kit and fuel hose on it. As far as the air filter is concerned, yeah it looks dirty after a few hours of cutting but will run alot more hours before performance falls off, big deal.

Last edited:
Any saw that will not start underwater is not considered reliable in a marine setting. I keep a chainsaw on my boat for emergencies, (or if I score some firewood while fishing) but it is a very special marine chainsaw..

Well possibly Sawtroll is an underwater logger and that is where he is coming from? For maybe he is full of it? Or maybe he just has an illogical dislike for the great little saw?

I like new stuff so I will be getting a 261 soon, but if I could get a good looking 260Pro for that cheap, it would already be in the truck. I have have it ported for cheap and I can't say that the air filter or vibes have bothered me to any extend that I noticed it.

Sam

in my worthless opinion the 026/260 is the best behind the seat skidder saw ever

Latest posts

Back