MS260 vs MS261 crankshaft bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Poole

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would anyone know what the difference is between the crankshaft bearings on a MS260 and a MS261?
The Stihl part numbers are slightly different but both bearings measure exactly the same! The original bearings in the 261 are plastic caged just like the 260. A few aftermarket suppliers are stating the 260 bearings also fit the 261!
My local Stihl dealer couldn’t tell me what the difference is. I want to buy OEM but the 260 bearings are a fair bit cheaper.

If they are dimensionally the same it may just be a superseded number. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure from 026 to the 261 is the same bearings and seals.

I just spoke to Stihl Canada technical department and was told they’re different bearings. All 4 numbers are available as current numbers. I was told that Stihl Germany won’t divulge the difference. The tech told me dimensionally they are the same, but there is
“some kind of difference” in either the load capacity, clearance rating or heat resistance.

Wonder what the actual difference would be then. The bearings fit many different stihl models. The 261 is a good runner, but as far as load and heat resistance it's not that much higher then its predecessors.

Im guessing here but maybe the plastic cages have a higher heat resistance. Do the MS261’s run hotter because of emissions choking them more than the 260’s or 026’s?

Stihl hasn’t superseded the old bearings to the new ones for the 026’s & MS260’s. You’d think if they were made cheaper, they would have superseded the old ones! The ones I took out of the 261 are still made by FAG.

Not to revive a dead cat here lol but.... I see some places listing AM bearings compatible to 026/260/261. I have a 261 to rip into but it's on the back burner until I get caught up with a bunch of saws if I remember to i'll take some measurements but it definitely won't be until probably Christmas roughly so a bit away yet

Back