Do they make the MS261 without the Mtronic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin_1992

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, posted recently about getting an MS261 and it seemed that, according to the Stihl website, there is a difference between the MS261 and the MS261 CM with the mtronic carb.

However, I got a bit nervous once I noticed a lot of people saying they don't make the non mtronic version anymore.

There are two versions on the Stihl website, but they are exactly the same price and have the EXACT same photos for both pages. Both have the MS261C on the side cover... odd.

I placed the order online to my local dealer and I'm nervous I'm going to get there and they accidentally give me the Mtronic one when I ordered a non Mtronic. Likewise, I am not sure I'd easily be able to tell before walking out the door if it's the mtronic or not.

Do all 261s have C on the side cover now? How can I tell if it's an mtronic or not? I'm kind of bothered that, through all my googling, I can't find a single picture or video or instructions on how to tune an MS261 with the adjustment screws... the manual doesnt even have a picture! Makes me think they dont make it anymore? But why does Stihl list two different pages?

Any dealers out there that can tell me if they still make the non mtronic and if so, how I can make sure that is what I got when I pickup my saw? Thanks guys!

They’ve always made both models for the 261 and 362. And in the last year or so, every mtronic model other than the 400 is also available with an adjustable carb.
If it says 261 on the recoil, it’s adjustable. If it says 261c, it’s mtronic. Same with the other models. Unless the recoil badge has been replaced obviously

Thanks for responding bud. So if I go to pick this up and it has 261C on the recoil, I know they're giving me the wrong model. Thanks!
From everything I’ve seen, you would be correct.

Obviously old guy’s saw says something different. I’m not sure what went on there unless the recoil or badge were changed at some point in time

They’ve always made both models for the 261 and 362. And in the last year or so, every mtronic model other than the 400 is also available with an adjustable carb.
If it says 261 on the recoil, it’s adjustable. If it says 261c, it’s mtronic. Same with the other models. Unless the recoil badge has been replaced obviously

This is probably true for newer saws, but at some point along the way Stihl messed with this naming pattern.

Here's a Stihl 261 from around 2011

MS 261C - 2011.jpg

And here's a Stihl 261 from around 2020

MS261 - 2020.png

Both are manual carb models, but the 2011 model is called a "C" as you would have traditionally expected because it has "comfort features".

Whereas the 2020 model is no longer called a "C" even though it has the comfort features (per the manual I pulled it from).

You can also see the handle and triggers are very different and the cooling fins are very different.

So... things change over time.

Kevin and I were talking about this before, and it seems the C now implies M-Tronic which is not how it used to be.

This is probably true for newer saws, but at some point along the way Stihl messed with this naming pattern.

Here's a Stihl 261 from around 2011

View attachment 1060766

And here's a Stihl 261 from around 2020

View attachment 1060767

Both are manual carb models, but the 2011 model is called a "C" as you would have traditionally expected because it has "comfort features".

Whereas the 2020 model is no longer called a "C" even though it has the comfort features (per the manual I pulled it from).

You can also see the handle and triggers are very different and the cooling fins are very different.

So... things change over time.

Kevin and I were talking about this before, and it seems the C now implies M-Tronic which is not how it used to be.
I wonder if they used the C-Q back then the way they use the C-M now. Where in the C denotes that it has a comfort feature, and the Q denotes what feature it has. I also wonder if the recoil actually has a C on it.

I wonder if they used the C-Q back then the way they use the C-M now. Where in the C denotes that it has a comfort feature, and the Q denotes what feature it has. I also wonder if the recoil actually has a C on it.

I want to know that too. I spent some time trying to find images of the recoil side of the two manual carb saws (older vs newer) and can't come up with any.

Edit: I found some images that claim to be a 2011 261 (not my images).

img.axd

img.axd

Looks like it has a newer handle than the one I pulled from the old manual, but it clearly has traditional "comfort features" like the decomp and elastostart yet no "C" on the recoil badge.

So I don't know when the "C" started appearing on the recoil badge and what it really means. But for new saws it does seem to imply M-Tronic.

The non-Mtronic 261’s do not have the “c” designation on the saw’s model badge. Here are some pictures of mine

Attachments

• D5EECD81-E018-49BC-9018-0078F4942329.jpeg
    D5EECD81-E018-49BC-9018-0078F4942329.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 54B47993-4BF3-4E4E-BA46-1ED1EF8DFFA9.jpeg
    54B47993-4BF3-4E4E-BA46-1ED1EF8DFFA9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • E9E135C9-579B-43A9-A476-FB12A8E49130.jpeg
    E9E135C9-579B-43A9-A476-FB12A8E49130.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back