Stihl MS270 crankshaft repair??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey Studs,

Bought this MS 270 on the cheap. Previous owner said he over torqued and sheared the crankshaft on the pull assembly side.
Said it could possibly be tapped out and metal piece could be welded or just replace the whole crankshaft.
As usual I'm out of my skill set/experience on this, hence this thread and cry 4 help!
I do have a best bud who runs a Stihl Shop...and gives me excellent deals.
Just wondering if I could do this myself, besides I see good OEM parts pretty cheap for it.
**Update!!**
I now have another 270 with a good crankshaft...MUST I SPLIT THE CASE?

270 Broken Crankshaft close-up.jpg MS 270 Broken Crankshaft.jpg

I'd replace the crankshaft. Did he say how he busted that fw nut? Impact driver? Impressive lol.

Yes, "case" split. They're not true mag cases like most pro saws. Instead, they are similar to clam shells but without the distinctive separate pan. Ms280s may share the same crank. I've never rebuilt one.

I'd replace the crankshaft. Did he say how he busted that fw nut? Impact driver? Impressive lol.

Yes, "case" split. They're not true mag cases like most pro saws. Instead, they are similar to clam shells but without the distinctive separate pan. Ms280s may share the same crank. I've never rebuilt one.
Just said he was trying to "tighten" it and forgot how burly he was!:yes:

Did you ever get one of them running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ain't done ****...except drop it off @ supposedly the best Stihl Shop about 5 weeks ago...and still ain't done.
I'm ok though, between school full time, wife's illness, battling my homeowners insurance over a storm claim, and new meds...I'm stretched out!! :dizzy::crazy:

Latest posts

Back