Stihl MS280 Carburetor Replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rilo_1970

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Friend of mine gave me a Stihl ms280 that apparently had the IEM setup. There are only 2 adjustments to the carb (L and LA), and he said he the saw to a shop and they couldn't fix it. It was running poorly when trying to cut and he tore the saw apart and now it's missing the IEM. Having a helluva time finding an IEM, so I'm curious if I can replace the IEM carb with a regular carb that I can adjust. Thinking maybe I can use the Walbro HD-33 that looks like it was for the ms270. Anyone tried this on an ms280?

Friend of mine gave me a Stihl ms280 that apparently had the IEM setup. There are only 2 adjustments to the carb (L and LA), and he said he the saw to a shop and they couldn't fix it. It was running poorly when trying to cut and he tore the saw apart and now it's missing the IEM. Having a helluva time finding an IEM, so I'm curious if I can replace the IEM carb with a regular carb that I can adjust. Thinking maybe I can use the Walbro HD-33 that looks like it was for the ms270. Anyone tried this on an ms280?

IEM (Integrated Engine Management) was Stihl's forerunner of M-Tronic. If you change carbs you might also have to change out the coil and maybe the flywheel... Enjoy the attached!

Attachments

• M-Tronic Intro TI_49_2006_30_01_01.pdf
    511.4 KB · Views: 31
  • M-tronic Starter Pulley TI_57_2006_30_01_01.pdf
    121.4 KB · Views: 22
dmb2613 - sent you a PM.

Steve Sr - thanks for the info, very helpful! I may just try to located the missing wire harness (from ignition to carb), and then troubleshoot from there.

dmb2613 - sent you a PM.

Steve Sr - thanks for the info, very helpful! I may just try to located the missing wire harness (from ignition to carb), and then troubleshoot from there.
If the wire harness is missing either you don't have an IEM version or you have found a big part of your problem. Check the flywheel to see how many magnets are on it per the previous documentation. Look for the solenoid valve where you would otherwise find the "H" screw for the carb. You can also look for the "MD" manufacture date on the silver engine family label on the handle. The format is YYMM.

FYI, the biggest issues with M-tronic have been the solenoid valves in the carburetors "leaking" The leak may be caused by fuel contamination and Stihl just introduced a new orange fuel pickup to help alleviate this issue.

It is def an IEM version - carb has the solenoid on it. Hoping to locate a wiring harness and then go from there, but not having any luck with that so far. Trying another Stihl dealer today.

It is def an IEM version - carb has the solenoid on it. Hoping to locate a wiring harness and then go from there, but not having any luck with that so far. Trying another Stihl dealer today.
The IEM wiring harness appears to still be available, at least from Bryan. The part number is 1133-440-3002.

SteveSr so for the leak issue it is fixed by replacing the fuel pick up line?
No, that was just the latest. I think that they also redesigned the solenoid... at least once. Now this is for the existing M-tronic. Your saw was the "trial balloon" so don't know how IEM is different from M-tronic.

SteveSr - got it! still looking for the wiring harness and you mentioned "The IEM wiring harness appears to still be available, at least from Bryan. The part number is 1133-440-3002". Who is Bryan? :)

SteveSr - got it! still looking for the wiring harness and you mentioned "The IEM wiring harness appears to still be available, at least from Bryan. The part number is 1133-440-3002". Who is Bryan? :)

Bryan Equipment is the big mid-west (Cincinnati based) Stihl distributor. This means that your local Stihl dealer should be able to get the part but will most likely have to order it.

SteveSr - Update - I found the wiring harness I thought I needed, but found the flywheel and ignition are the non IEM version. Flywheel has only 2 magnets, so I think it was changed out along with the ignition, which is an aftermarket ProLine. So, now I'm looking for a the non IEM version with all 3 adjustable jets. :)

The normal MS 280 uses a Walbro HD 32. Did you buy the HD 33 which AS member dmb2613 offered you? This carb is normally used on the MS 270, but I think it can also be used on the MS 280.

The normal MS 280 uses a Walbro HD 32. Did you buy the HD 33 which AS member dmb2613 offered you? This carb is normally used on the MS 270, but I think it can also be used on the MS 280.
I have not bought it yet- reached out earlier today to see if he still had it.

Back