Stihl MS290 performance ideas please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROWDY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea, of making a performance saw from a stihl MS290 sometime. I now have two good running saws, a MS360 the biggest. Obviously it will have a 49mm piston to start, Then the mufler mod, then further down the road I'm questioning myself to port it. I really only want to do this for as hobby. Not that I really need a bigger saw than an original MS290 or my MS360. I never tore down a chainsaw yet, but tore down every other engine I have and, it ran again. A saw to have fun with I guess.

So my question is; starting with the engine first, what parts or maybe a complete engine would you go with? What's the good, bad and ok parts to buy? For pricing issues; I guess the best way to explain what's on my mind "right now" is the best bang for the buck for the saw to last 10 years of light to medium amount of use. Right now I am on the look out for a used blown-up 290 for about $50. No luck just yet yet.

Thank you in advance.

I have been kicking around the idea, of making a performance saw from a stihl MS290 sometime. I now have two good running saws, a MS360 the biggest. Obviously it will have a 49mm piston to start, Then the mufler mod, then further down the road I'm questioning myself to port it. I really only want to do this for as hobby. Not that I really need a bigger saw than an original MS290 or my MS360. I never tore down a chainsaw yet, but tore down every other engine I have and, it ran again. A saw to have fun with I guess.

So my question is; starting with the engine first, what parts or maybe a complete engine would you go with? What's the good, bad and ok parts to buy? For pricing issues; I guess the best way to explain what's on my mind "right now" is the best bang for the buck for the saw to last 10 years of light to medium amount of use. Right now I am on the look out for a used blown-up 290 for about $50. No luck just yet yet.

Thank you in advance.

Bailey's 390 kit. Done.

Not sure what you are asking, do you have a 029/290 that you want to mod or are you looking for one to mod. If you already have a stihl 036/360 it will out perform the 290 after modifications.

No I don't have a 290 yet. I'm on the look out for one as the spring and summer is on its way and, if I can buy one for the price of dirt. Gcsupraman states "Bailey's 390 kit. Done." Or should I buy this piston, these piston rings, these bearings, ect to have a quality system.

Those 290s often bring as much or more $$$ than saws that are heads and tails above them.

If you want a saw to putz with, there are many "pro" type saws that can be had for the same money.

You already have a good 60cc, look for a 70cc+ class saw.

Patience and knowedge will pay off in the long run.

The 290 and 390 weigh 13 lbs. An MS440 or 044 weighs 13.8 and makes almost twice as much power and has MUCH more resale value.

A muffler mod on a MS 360 is a very nice and noticeable performance upgrade. Add a properly sharpend chain, and that combo when properly tuned should should put a smile on your face.

Wow!!! I was only wanting to take a cheap saw and make it better for the fun of it. I do understand that the 360 is a better unit than the 290 all the way.

Last edited:
Save your $. A running 290 is a turd, and no matter how much you polish it, it'll still be a piece of :censored:.

Seriously, if you spend $50 for a fried 290 and then $150 for a Bailey's 390 kit, you already have $200 in it without incidentals and labor. Find an 026 or 260 and you'll have a REAL saw worth working on that doesn't weigh as much as the Titanic's anchor.

Rowdy, I understand what you're wanting to do. I'm in the same boat. Sure, I could go and buy a better saw, but that ain't what I want to do.

I've wondered about boring the carb. I think I could open it a couple of mm's and make a new butterfly. I may try this on another carb first.

Opening the muffler and retuning makes a big difference on these. I also started using VP U4.4 and Bel Ray H1-R. This seemed to make as much difference as opening the muffler.

Wow!!! I was only wanting to take a cheap saw and make it better for the fun of it. I do understand that the 360 is a better unit than the 290 all the way.

Go ahead and have fun, if you can find one for cheap.

I have put "lipstick on a pig" just for giggles.

Fun is fun, but clamshells have more limitations compared to split cases.

I too have modded 290's for fun. There are at least 10 in my home workshop right now. (Spare me the PM, none are leaving for $50.) I pretty much always carry an 029 Super (290's father) when I do any cutting, and it never wears a stock muffler. If you just want a saw to mod on, look for whatever comes your way and have at it. It does not have to be a 290 to be cheap and fun for you. For that matter, it does not have to be a Stihl. An ugly Pro MAC 700 or Poulan 245 will open quite a few eyes when it hits the wood, and you might actually find one of those for $50. A scored 261 Husky would be a great find (and can easily be made to TROUNCE any modded 390 out there.) Cooked 290's can be had for $50, but they are not all that plentiful. A 290 without engine can be parted out for $300+ and quite a bit more if the plastic is pretty. The first saw I rebuilt from a scored relic was a square-top 290. I later traded it for a ratty 056 Magnum, and the CAD was ON.

Lots of good advice. The MS290 may be found more easily than some of the pro saws, however if you are going to spend money, make a list of what you think you're going to spend and then look over the fence to the pro line of saws. It is senseless to me to spend $300.00 on an upgraded MS290 made up to be a MS390 when you could perhaps step over into a pro saw and have something with much more resale value. (I have modded more MS290's/390's and 029 supers than I care to speak of - I love working on them but -- when it comes to power I grab my pro saws.)

As for the Bailey's kit, it was on sale the last time I looked for $75.00 (though it might not be now). I have one in a saw and have been reasonably pleased with it. If I bought one tomorrow I'd make sure I got a set of Caber rings to replace the china ones.

As the Dr. was saying don't think you have to buy a MS290 to try to port. Step out there and get a cheaper running saw to practice on. My 2 pennies. Happy Sawing!

With some simple mod's to a Bailey kit it will out run a stock 361 :msp_ohmy:

Staying cheap....

I live by this you lower your standards , you'll up your average. Look outside the world of creamcicle. The best idea is to grab something cheap try your mods out. Look for gains find what works best then grab a 290 later. A Stihl clamshell wouldn't be the first saw any beginner would want to work on. If you're dead set on it get a parts cleaner and be prepared for scrub time.

I still don't understand why half the guys on this site are hung up on weight. A few ounces here or there? Really??

I agree i dont think the ms290 is overly heavy, I havent crunched the spec sheets, and i wont. but i had a 455 rancher that seemed to be around the same weight as the 290. and the stihls seem a lttle more hardy. and after using my 066 it seems very light. I think the 290 is a great saw after a muff mod, and wouldnt do much more to it...

Back