Stihl MS460 Cylinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZLOGGER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Some where between the desert & the trees! AZ
OK you STIHL guru's I have a question for you!

I ordered 2 p/c's complete part#1128 020 1221.
This is what I got, 2 completely different looking cylinders, one is a dark grey color and the other is the aluminum looking color. They also have different prefix letter-numbers cast into them.

The pictures show the difference better than I can explain, 1st 3 pictures one cylinder, 2nd 3 pictures the other cylinder. Oh crap I can only upload 5. What the hell is going on, and what do I have, & lastly which is the correct cylinder. They are both 52mm as I checked them to make sure.

Thanks for your assistance.

OK you STIHL guru's I have a question for you!

I ordered 2 p/c's complete part#1128 020 1221.
This is what I got, 2 completely different looking cylinders, one is a dark grey color and the other is the aluminum looking color. They also have different prefix letter-numbers cast into them.

The pictures show the difference better than I can explain, 1st 3 pictures one cylinder, 2nd 3 pictures the other cylinder. Oh crap I can only upload 5. What the hell is going on, and what do I have, & lastly which is the correct cylinder. They are both 52mm as I checked them to make sure.

Thanks for your assistance.

Here is the 6th picture.

The darker grey cylinder is the early style chrome-lined cylinder. It's darker because the temperatures needed for chrome-lining are higher than Nikasil. The lighter colored cylinder is likely the "Optimized" cylinder and piston which is the later version. The part number is correct for both, it's just that there's early and late versions available. Both are good and will work on any 046/MS-460.

You can tell the difference between chrome and Nikasil by the color as Jacob said. The chrome is shinier, but you can also use a magnet. CRS disease though, I can't remember if the chrome is slightly magnetic and the Nikasil isn't, or the other way around. I am guessing that the chrome is slightly magnetic.
Anybody out there remember?

You can tell the difference between chrome and Nikasil by the color as Jacob said. The chrome is shinier, but you can also use a magnet. CRS disease though, I can't remember if the chrome is slightly magnetic and the Nikasil isn't, or the other way around. I am guessing that the chrome is slightly magnetic.
Anybody out there remember?

I tried the magnet trick, and neither one of the cylinders are slightly magnetic.

I was under the impression all MAHLE cylinders were Nikasil plated, now I am totally confused, which is pretty normal this time of year.
Thanks Again :confused:

Both are slightly magnetic due to the nickel content of the coatings.

You need a strong magnet because the coatings are extremely thin.

Re plated cylinders are invariably a thicker coating hence the appearance of a harder surface

Good question... and I've been trying to track down the correct answer for over year...

Husky has always used Nikersil; Stihl has used both extensively for decades Even cylinders made by Mahle for Stihl can have either nikersil or chrome. I have two identical Mahle 056 magnum cylinders, one nikersil, one chrome. My Stihll source tells me that if the size grade letter on top has a circle around it, it's chrome. If it doesn't, it's nikersil. There might be a little 'cr" stamped also, but not always.

The common misconception is that chrome is inferior to nikersil, but it turns out not to be the case (do Husky cylinders last longer than Stihl? does Stihl chrome die earlier than nikersil ? - nope..); it's WHO does the chrome process and exactly what alloys are used...

Stihl found that cylinders used in gritty dirty environments (cut-off saws, trimmers, blower) fared slightly better if made chrome - the nikersil once damaged progressed to failure earlier..

Last edited:
Back