Stihl MS461 R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laying to bed the timing issue after coil swap.

[video=youtube_share;SDrmLhi4isA]http://youtu.be/SDrmLhi4isA[/video]

I think you'll be be very happy. I finally was able to make about six cuts with mine today:rock: Non compensated plug " thanks Randy it is Bad Azz":msp_sneaky:

Good project for a the day. Nice work!

Thanks man.

Trying to get some run time on her before tear down. Everything being under snow pack is making it difficult to say the least.

I think you'll be be very happy. I finally was able to make about six cuts with mine today:rock: Non compensated plug " thanks Randy it is Bad Azz":msp_sneaky:

How was the mileage after work? This one sure sips and does not stink one bit.

How was the mileage after work? This one sure sips and does not stink one bit.

I really didn't get to run it enough to know. I have the same problem as you right now, we have about 14" of snow after both storms. Loads and loads of torque. I had Randy put a 460 coil in mine and I have it tuned to 13800.

Thanks man.

Trying to get some run time on her before tear down. Everything being under snow pack is making it difficult to say the least.

I made a pile of logs before the snow that is easy to get to with the skidsteer. I'll be cutting cookies in the windbreak of the shop all winter. I have a 25" on blocks right now I'm whittling on now. Maybe I'll pull out that 50" chunk and runs some 394's soon.

I made a pile of logs before the snow that is easy to get to with the skidsteer. I'll be cutting cookies in the windbreak of the shop all winter. I have a 25" on blocks right now I'm whittling on now. Maybe I'll pull out that 50" chunk and runs some 394's soon.

Hmmmm I can be there in a hour fifteen :rolleyes2:

Excellent video Mitch! Thanks for going to the trouble. Now you've got me curious about some of the other coils. I wonder if some of the others have built in timing advance. It thought they did. BTW, on some saws, advancing the timing makes a significant difference. 4° is a fair amount. I would at least put it back to the 12°, just MHO. I've not yet played with the timing on a 461 though. Thanks again!

Excellent video Mitch! Thanks for going to the trouble. Now you've got me curious about some of the other coils. I wonder if some of the others have built in timing advance. It thought they did. BTW, on some saws, advancing the timing makes a significant difference. 4° is a fair amount. I would at least put it back to the 12°, just MHO. I've not yet played with the timing on a 461 though. Thanks again!

Anytime, just paying it forward.

I left it at 12 degree being it is fixed with this coil. I've advanced all the 260,360,440,460,660's with good results as the timing does not self advance. Husky and Echo on the other hand have a fairly aggressive advance so I leave them be.

Will see how she runs after a bit of tickling.

Last edited:
Stock comp 168 cold

ex 104 152
trans 120 16
intake 71 142

squish .030

The only Husky that I advance the ignition on right now is the 390. It does help on that one.

The on saws I've found it to hinder performance is all current Echo models along with the new autotunes. Neither saw revs properly advanced. I'm just going off my own experiences ofcourse.

Back