Stihl MS461 R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saw sounds great! Have you considered giving it some more intake?

When I ordered this saw, he added six half wrap saws to inventory. When things slow a bit, I'll get my own to experiment with. Have some ideas but for a solid work saw I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Depending on wood and bar length the gains have been 20-27%

The 461 is hot right now........it's doing what I thought the autotune Huskys would do. We have two more sitting here to port. Nice work on the saw as always Mitch.

Well I was excited with the warmer weather and no rain past couple of days. I am off tomorrow so of course winter storm warning starting at midnight :-( Maybe I'll call ya Randy and bench race. Cabin fever is terrible

The 461 is hot right now........it's doing what I thought the autotune Huskys would do. We have two more sitting here to port. Nice work on the saw as always Mitch.

Yes, the 576at is a red headed stepchild. But me don't care, I recognize a good thing when I run it.

Well I was excited with the warmer weather and no rain past couple of days. I am off tomorrow so of course winter storm warning starting at midnight :-( Maybe I'll call ya Randy and bench race. Cabin fever is terrible

I just wish you were closer......we'll be cutting a bunch as soon as the rain stops.

Gotta test these saws to know if what we do really works. :)

Last edited:
I just wish you were closer......we'll be cut a bunch as soon as the rain stops.

Gotta test these saws to know if what we do really works. :)

Its a terrible burden, having to run the latest and greatest eh? :clap:

Psi is 180ish (subject to gauge) at the moment. It may end up in the mid to high 180's. Squish is still at .026. I raised the exhaust a bit to bleed off compression and give a tad more blow down.......

so from what i understand from reading other threads and searching is...by raising the exhaust you, as you said, lower compression...this would also decrease torque? what is the trade off for decreasing compression but increasing the blowdown? i understand...sort of...how you arrive at the blowdown numbers(when the exhaust opens in relation the when the transfers open?), im just having trouble visualizing/comprehending what an increase in the blowdown and decrease in compression achieves...thanks if you take the time to answer...totally understand if you dont...sweet thread...awesome saw.

so from what i understand from reading other threads and searching is...by raising the exhaust you, as you said, lower compression...this would also decrease torque? what is the trade off for decreasing compression but increasing the blowdown?

Yes as a general rule, lower compression equals less torque. The gentleman I built this saw for requested a straight up strong work saw without worrying about 200ish compression. The reason I raised the exhaust a bit was to decrease the compression while a good side effect was more BD. More BD gives the spent fuel charge more time to exit while making the incoming charge more efficient. Also saves fuel by not throwing it out the exhaust.

i understand...sort of...how you arrive at the blowdown numbers(when the exhaust opens in relation the when the transfers open?), im just having trouble visualizing/comprehending what an increase in the blowdown and decrease in compression achieves...thanks if you take the time to answer...totally understand if you dont...sweet thread...awesome saw.

That is correct, BD is the distance in rotation Exhaust to transfer.

Short answers, I've not had muh coffee yet :sleepy::coffee:

Back