Stihl MS461 R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some guys like to open the mouth of the exhaust flange as big as possible. I personally don't see the need to do that on a work saw. Look how much bigger the flange area already is than at the cylinder wall.

Some guys like to open the mouth of the exhaust flange as big as possible. I personally don't see the need to do that on a work saw. Look how much bigger the flange area already is than at the cylinder wall.

I'm with you on this. I like to leave some meat for a mating surface on a work saw. I don't believe the gains are worth the worry.

On this particular saw the exhaust isn't even widened, port shape can be just as important if not more. Again I don't want to give up longevity.

Down her throat.

Untitled by mweba1, on Flickr

Go big or leave it at home!

Saw was back down for wear inspection and a good old fashion fondling. Ended up at

102 156
117 15
75 150

to get the compression down and of course gained a couple revs. Tach didn't show any difference in the cut.

Three tanks through it cutting frozen Ash for a hour.

Eight pin 20" is loading.....thanks rural interwebs, two hours counting down :mad:

Numbers look good for a work saw. How do the 461's like to be tuned?

With those numbers by the end of the day 13,800 to 14,200 had consistent cut times with a safe four stroke. Chamber was cut .030 base .035 still running shy of 190psi

Vid with eight. Frozen Ash having fun. 13.8K in this vid.

[video=youtube;cPJYlAO_k5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJYlAO_k5w&feature=share&list=UUXrUSTTnD1KfjS6rJBCxhhg[/video]

Sounds good to me,thats still with the single port muff ya.

Thats how i make kindling out of pine,noodle afew cuts then cut cookys instant fire starting kindling.

Last edited:
Saw was back down for wear inspection and a good old fashion fondling. Ended up at

102 156
117 15
75 150

to get the compression down and of course gained a couple revs. Tach didn't show any difference in the cut.

Three tanks through it cutting frozen Ash for a hour.

Eight pin 20" is loading.....thanks rural interwebs, two hours counting down :mad:

Couple of questions there Mitch
We went from
Stock comp 168 cold

ex 104 152
trans 120 16
intake 71 142

squish .030

After 190 psi ish

ex 105 150
117 12
75 150

squish .026

Ended up at psi ?

102 156
117 15
75 150

Squish ?

Did you just add a gasket under cylinder ?

Allso in the pic the slot in the cover on the right is that for the winter,summer worm air off the cylinder thingy. ?.

Sounds good to me,thats still with the single port muff ya.

Thats how i make kindling out of pine,noodle afew cuts then cut cookys instand fire starting kindling.

In the spring I grill over those. The "french fries" make quick coals. It runs as good as it looks. Very pleased with the outcome.

Andre, if this design carries to the 661 and meets emissions, Stihl is on to something. Rotating mass is minimal as well as simplified engineering. Add electronic fuel control and we have a good big two battle to come...

Couple of questions there Mitch
We went from
Stock comp 168 cold

ex 104 152
trans 120 16
intake 71 142

squish .030

After 190 psi ish

ex 105 150
117 12
75 150

squish .026

Ended up at psi ?

102 156
117 15
75 150

Squish ?

Did you just add a gasket under cylinder ?

Allso in the pic the slot in the cover on the right is that for the winter,summer worm air off the cylinder thingy. ?.

Psi is 180ish (subject to gauge) at the moment. It may end up in the mid to high 180's. Squish is still at .026. I raised the exhaust a bit to bleed off compression and give a tad more blow down.

The hole to the right does not enter the filter area. Another piece can be removed for winter cutting.

Last edited:
Hi ya Mitch you have been a bit quiet hope all is well.
Did you end up with the dual port muff cover on it,notice any differance.
Has the other two turned up yet.:smile2:

Hi ya Mitch you have been a bit quiet hope all is well.
Did you end up with the dual port muff cover on it,notice any differance.
Has the other two turned up yet.:smile2:

Been busy :rock: Got that 555/560 sorted and started another 550, wife is getting a little short with me but if you don't give em an excuse, they will be looking for one. We can't have that :msp_rolleyes:

Picked everything up Friday but didn't get around to assembly til last night. Played with the carb a bit, smoothing out the fuel curve, making sure she gets enough on the top side. Short of the long, the 461 will be moving on this week.

The other 441 arrived postal last week as well. Tore down with a parts list started. Email ya on that subject later.

I will try to catch some more vid before she goes.

Back