Stihl MS461 R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut with a well broke in 460 and the 461 today. Honestly the 460 felt faster while sounding like it held higher rpm's. After reviewing the vids, I was surprised to see the 461 turn in faster cut times in every different chunk of wood I threw at it. The gap at its greatest was 4 seconds and the best comparison video I got the gap was 1 second. That makes these saws very close but one must keep in mind, the 461 has 2.5 tanks consumed and this 460 is run in proper. Take that for what its worth.

So, you're saying that even though the 461 "sounded" down on rpm's in reality it was faster, correct?

So, you're saying that even though the 461 "sounded" down on rpm's in reality it was faster, correct?

Felt slower, sounded slower, cut faster ever time. Goes to show.....perception.;)

Hey, I'm wearing pants in this video

Last edited:
this just proves you don't need a 15000rpm screaming monster to be fast in the cut, and just because its makes a bunch of noise, don't mean its fast. :smile2:

this just proves you don't need a 15000rpm screaming monster to be fast in the cut, and just because its makes a bunch of noise, don't mean its fast. :smile2:

I do like to make some noise though, keeps the hippies away :msp_rolleyes:

nice saw man! if we had any use for a saw that big, i'd own one in a heartbeat. 50cc saws are the go-to saws for us, they are the big saws for us.

Like they say in mx ,sometimes you have to slow down to go fast ...........

Squishy band cut.

Untitled by mweba1, on Flickr

Base turned down with a fine tooth rasp.

Untitled by mweba1, on Flickr

Thanks for the lathe work bud. Your attention to detail is almost annoying sometimes :msp_biggrin:

Boring video without commentary. Showing the process a bit.

[video=youtube_share;D_ru0NY9wTc]http://youtu.be/D_ru0NY9wTc[/video]

Thanks for the lathe work bud. Your attention to detail is almost annoying sometimes :msp_biggrin:

The hardest part is keeping that attention to detail while we're doing all that jawing.

Anxious to see how this one turns out.

The hardest part is keeping that attention to detail while we're doing all that jawing.

Lathe??? We don't need no stinking lathe!!!

syba4esy.jpg

Great thread Mweba! Thanks for sharing this build with pics and video:clap:

Thanks for your attention to detail,nothing wrong with a yak while you work.
Being a turner/machinist for 25 years i know the methods,a industrial diamond tipped insert is magic on alloy.:smile2:

Back