Stihl MS461 R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my stock appearing 3120 does sound like a dirtbike. its got as many cc's as some bikes i raced back in my younger days.

Late to the party, but I just don't understand wanting a worksaw to turn 15,000+ (or some high number) RPMs. Majority of the time those high reving screamers make no more RPMs in the wood than a saw tuned to more normalish levels. I kinda doubt some of these ''worksaws'' that are turning 15-16,000 out of the wood would live very long actually ''working''. Just my little opinion though. I think most modern saws turn plenty of RPMs as they are, trying to hold those rpms in the wood is what I'm after.

Posted this in the other 461 thread going;

Anyone know why the 461R costs $250 more than the 461?

Is it just a regional thing, surely the guys out West aren't paying that much?

It is only $40 more here according to dealers website.

It all depends on the dealer price and that also goes for the bar upgrade price; each dealer is different :msp_smile:

I'm on the nearest dealers site and it is indeed listed $250+ more (DSRP)

Must be different distributors.

Are you looking at the rescue saw by chance? The rescue saw is $1259 and the regular 461 is $1049 where available.

Are you looking at the rescue saw by chance? The rescue saw is $1259 and the regular 461 is $1049 where available.

I had a hell of a time getting the dealer is Cookeville to understand that I wanted to buy a 461R not a 461 rescue.

I had a hell of a time getting the dealer is Cookeville to understand that I wanted to buy a 461R not a 461 rescue.

My dealer is a saw nut just like us. Very nice collection and brings a load of saws to my GTG. No trouble explaining which saw I needed to him ;)

He has the concrete version in stock on shelf.

I think that's probably it.

Just generic **** on their website, the wording is the same for both (excellent forestry and tree care)

What do you get with the rescue?

I think that's probably it.

Just generic **** on their website, the wording is the same for both (excellent forestry and tree care)

What do you get with the rescue?

carbide chain ,a bigger d shaped pull handle ,think it has a lil bar wrench holder too ,some cover thing over most of the bar ,more for firefighters cutting into houses through roofing and such materials

Well the R comes with: bigger felling dogs that conveniently act as a kickstand so that the chain don't hit the ground on level surfaces, it has a roller catcher, 3/4 wrap handle, high output bar oiler, larger clutch cover with an oversized "mudflap" and it's way cooler. That combined with bar length and whatever the dealer is asking for it could be. Or as others were saying maybe it was the dealer mistaking for the rescue model.

I had the same problem, the dealer who I bought mine from had to call his rep to figure it out.

Late to the party, but I just don't understand wanting a worksaw to turn 15,000+ (or some high number) RPMs. Majority of the time those high reving screamers make no more RPMs in the wood than a saw tuned to more normalish levels. I kinda doubt some of these ''worksaws'' that are turning 15-16,000 out of the wood would live very long actually ''working''. Just my little opinion though. I think most modern saws turn plenty of RPMs as they are, trying to hold those rpms in the wood is what I'm after.

I agree. The 461 doesn't seem to make as many RPMs in the wood as a 460 or 372. I'm talking ported now.

I think you're talking about the difference between a saw that is intended for real work and a "worksaw" that is intended for a GTG toy.

If your saw will only turn 10,000rpm in the wood, why would it need to turn 16,000rpm out of it?

Latest posts

Back