Stihl MS461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjalaska

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am wanting a Stihl MS461 for my saw collection. I have found a new one locally for about $1100 US. My question is what would be a reasonable price for a decent running used saw. Have 2 I have found in my area for $800 with 20” bar, unknown age, and another for $600 with full wrap handle and well worn 28” bar. Both saws have been used and have probably seen plenty of wood. Have not yet bought a new pro saw but have picked up mine used and usually have to work on them to make them dependable. So is a guy better to bite the bullet and buy new once you get into the price range of used saws available to me? I know used is hit or miss from several other saws I’ve bought so just looking for input on current value. Want to get a 461 before the stock is gone. Thank you for opinions.

I dont have an answer for you, as I got mine for $150 in nearly new condition because it was straight gassed, but I can say that you will honestly love the MS461. I run mine whenever I can, it's a powerhouse.

I bought mine for $800 here and it came with a 32"B&C, and nearly new. That was lucky on my part and 4 years ago.

FWIW, these saw, taken care of, can last 10 to 15 years, so can be considered inexpensive, if used a lot over that time and more.

I buy new, but mine get run hard and they’re one of my tools I use to make a living. So, I have no problem shelling out $1100 on a machine that will pay for itself many times over.

That said, $600 for a 3/4 wrap 461 set up with a 28, even with some use on it, and a bar that looks well worn usually has a bunch of life left in it, doesn’t sound like too bad of a deal. It’s just over half of what one costs new. For whatever reason people seem to think that their used Stihl chainsaw is worth two tickets to paradise.

For whatever reason, people seem to think that their used Stihl chains is worth two tickets to paradise.

Boy ain't that the truth! I regularly see well used 291s listed on my local Craigslist and facebook marketplace for more than I paid for a new Jonsered 2166 this year on eBay. The best part is that the guys who buy the used Stihls will swear that they got the better deal!

Thanks for replies. I know used prices are whatever buyer is willing to pay. Was thinking the $600 saw was getting close to 50% of new so probably not too bad of a deal. I’m kind of thinking much more money and the saw better be fairly new or lightly used garage queen ect... I just really want to get one in my collection as I hear they are being discontinued and replaced by the 462. I have a nice running 441C with non Mtronic carb so not sure the 461 is a huge step up but like most folks on here, want is about all it takes for me to justify buying another saw!

Back