Stihl ms462 and ms661 magnum non m tronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was able to buy a 661 Magnum about a month ago however I haven't been able to put it to use in my regular occupation of timber falling due to some ankle surgery back in April. I have run about 10 tanks through it cutting up some big oaks (5' 2" long way inside bark on stump) in my neighbors yard knocked down by last winters snow.
My modifications: WCS Bark Box, Max Flow white air filter (Bel-Ray oil) and WCS dawgs.
I ran the saw with an 8 tooth sprocket pulling a 28" Power Match, 75 CL at .030, a 36" Power Match, 75 CL at .030 and a 42" Cannon, 75 CJ at .035. All chains were ground on Silvey SDM-4 and HDG-6 grinders.
My findings: This is a MUCH better saw than the 661 C-M (I have 2 of those) as it actually runs properly. I live at and cut these oaks at 3000' elevation and with the high speed tightened down to the stop it would only rev to 12,600 (red line is 13,500) however I wouldn't have set it any tighter than 12,600 anyway. It pulled all three of those cutting attachments listed just fine. Without going into any details I had to put that 42" bar on to make the biggest cuts and it worked great. Plenty of power. I'm sure it will pull a 50" bar in softwood when needed.
Operating results: Idle- perfect. Off idle- perfect. High speed-perfect. I've had endless problems with my C-M's to the point that I quit running them and pieced together a 660 which ran great until the crank snapped (I have an extra crank). Not every cutter has had the same problems that I've had with the C-M's but most of them have. Husqvarna's advertising campaign is called the Stihl MS 661 C-M. Lots of guys out west here have switched to all orange.
The Magnum will reverse that trend. I can hardly wait to get back on the stump.

Attachments

• DSCN0937.JPG
    DSCN0937.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
I was able to buy a 661 Magnum about a month ago however I haven't been able to put it to use in my regular occupation of timber falling due to some ankle surgery back in April. I have run about 10 tanks through it cutting up some big oaks (5' 2" long way inside bark on stump) in my neighbors yard knocked down by last winters snow.
My modifications: WCS Bark Box, Max Flow white air filter (Bel-Ray oil) and WCS dawgs.
I ran the saw with an 8 tooth sprocket pulling a 28" Power Match, 75 CL at .030, a 36" Power Match, 75 CL at .030 and a 42" Cannon, 75 CJ at .035. All chains were ground on Silvey SDM-4 and HDG-6 grinders.
My findings: This is a MUCH better saw than the 661 C-M (I have 2 of those) as it actually runs properly. I live at and cut these oaks at 3000' elevation and with the high speed tightened down to the stop it would only rev to 12,600 (red line is 13,500) however I wouldn't have set it any tighter than 12,600 anyway. It pulled all three of those cutting attachments listed just fine. Without going into any details I had to put that 42" bar on to make the biggest cuts and it worked great. Plenty of power. I'm sure it will pull a 50" bar in softwood when needed.
Operating results: Idle- perfect. Off idle- perfect. High speed-perfect. I've had endless problems with my C-M's to the point that I quit running them and pieced together a 660 which ran great until the crank snapped (I have an extra crank). Not every cutter has had the same problems that I've had with the C-M's but most of them have. Husqvarna's advertising campaign is called the Stihl MS 661 C-M. Lots of guys out west here have switched to all orange.
The Magnum will reverse that trend. I can hardly wait to get back on the stump.
That’s a little truck…lol

Holy cow! $1100!!! I could have driven to Illinois and back to California and still saved money. I paid over $1700. Of course, this is California. We get taxed on everything here. There's probably a "non-Mtronic, planet destruction" tax on the Magnum models. Did you know that the nut jobs running this state are in the process of outlawing ALL small engines? But in the mean time they'll just tax the citizenry to death.

Attachments

• DSCN0943.JPG
    DSCN0943.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Long Bar 60 is right on the money. Here in California, you’re looking at about $1,700-$1,800.00 for them. I have the non M-tronic version, and have no regrets what so ever...

The California state law banning the sale of gas saws, and all other small engine petroleum fueled equipment appears to apply to all the chainsaws below 50cc’s. And additionally, a lot of cities here in California have banned, or are in the process of banning, the use of petroleum fuel blowers. Welcome to Comifornia, the state run into the ground by insane lunatics (the state politicians).

Here are a couple of pics taken before I put it into service.

Attachments

• 8165A7D7-DED8-4F2E-BCBC-A3A2A093C4EE.jpeg
    8165A7D7-DED8-4F2E-BCBC-A3A2A093C4EE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 249346D8-0DBF-4A87-8022-41CC5FFC829C.jpeg
    249346D8-0DBF-4A87-8022-41CC5FFC829C.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I guess they still don't understand where electrty comes from.

They're having black outs and brown outs as it is. I wonder what they think might happen to the power grid with several million electric cars plugged in and charging every night. The fast charge on most electric cars requires a 50 amp plug. There's a few thousand dollars to add that to your garage.

The crazies here in California are not known for logic Benjo75, they’re all about emotions. They act with a hive mentality, and would likely jump to their deaths if instructed properly.

I would recommend any cutters here in California stockpile some non-ethanol canned gas, and plenty of your favorite mix oil.

Back