Stihl ms660 rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerman_07

Reaction score
Hello everyone i am new to the site. And I am rebuilding a stihl ms660 and going to be replacing almost everything. And will be starting from just the crankcase split in half. And was wondering where I should start and what parts I should install first. I know that I can buy rebuild kits for saws but with little budget after each payday would like to start buying parts to start with. And any info on this saw would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Most everyone on here thinks that during a rebuild where the case is split that the crank bearings, oil seals for the crank ends, all rubber parts in the fuel handling dept,fuel tank filter, carb kit air filter, new piston and rings, gasket set for crankcase and cylinder to base, sparkplug and a thorough cleaning is necessary.

Be sure to install the oil pump before installing the clutch side bearing. I made that mistake on an MS 440 and it gave me problems with the oil pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright great this is all good info. The case I'm working with has been stripped of all removable parts and is just left with two halfs. So I will be doing pretty much everything little by little. can't wait to start building now. As I am still waiting for parts in the mail. And brandonstc6 so I should install the oil pump before I put the bearing into the case.?

Back