Stihl Mystery Part.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikb47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Help me out here. Supposed to be for the MS460.
e8ajasyp.jpg
3e6usuma.jpg
qaqyvugy.jpg
2u6asu9e.jpg
3yredate.jpg

FYI, the 1128 of the PN narrows it down to the 044/046 family of saws. I don't think the 046 cover has changed through the years, always using a HD filter. The 044 has had several different covers, including at least a couple for the standard filter and at least a couple for the HD filter.

I just bought it off ebay. I saw it on my way to work one day and hit buy it now. Def. not what the guy says it is...

FYI, the 1128 of the PN narrows it down to the 044/046 family of saws. I don't think the 046 cover has changed through the years, always using a HD filter. The 044 has had several different covers, including at least a couple for the standard filter and at least a couple for the HD filter.
Yeah I was aware of the 1128 family. In the auction the seller stated that the part number was 1128 140 1007. I assumed that he had mistaken or mistyped 1007 for 1001, which would be the ms460 filter cover. I have contacted the seller to try to resolve the issue. We will see how it goes from here. Thanks for the help fellers and gentlemen...

Assumption usually ends like this.

If i could find all of the other new plastics for my 044 i would buy it off of you.

If I remember correct there were a few filter box combinations for the 044. I encountered this recently after buying
2 saws that were completely disassembled. If you look at the IPL you can see evidence of that, even though I've
never had all of them before me.

it's an 044 cover there was standard and HD filters and then the artic package which used a deflector door that brought warm air from engine area to the carb to keep it from icing
my friends owned a stihl shop so i got a little idea

Looks just like the air filter cover on my ms460's. I have seen another style but not sure if it was on an 044 or 046. Was in a box of parts.

If I remember right the HD filter system has the black plastic pieces that go on, then the part that holds the carb on, then the filter. This filter cover would go on top of all that.

The other style has an orange piece, then the filter, then a cover. I have some of both at home. I'll try and post pics later.

This is definitely a 044 cover only, not a 046/460 cover. The 046 cover doesn't have the clipped corners or a notch out for the carb needles.

I see. Did not know that. So maybe it goes on a 440? Did the 044's have the HD system?

Edit: are you sure the MS460 doesn't have a notch for the carb adjustment needles?

Back