Stihl, now made in Brazil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunez

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Tried to order some German steel but this showed up instead. Brazil is known for lots of things but steel is not one of them. Apparently stihl is using its Brazil plant for overrun manufacturing to keep up when demand is high. No part number change so be sure to check with your dealer before you order. I don’t know about you, but for the same price I want my bar made by zee germans
3A736F86-B449-476D-B84F-810CFE994892.jpeg5B00D746-73C1-4702-BACD-CEEF24E9AAFC.jpeg

Do you think the robotic equipment and machines are sloppier in Brazil than Germany? It's not like these things are made by hand. Here's a video of the machines:

Workers pretty much just collect them and pack them and occasionally fix breakdowns and jams. That said, Stihl was thinking of you as they track things like manufacturing origin acceptability for certain products like most corporations. Brazil is usually far more appealing than China, India and Vietnam.

From my experience with tools... the making of the tool is far far less of a problem than the source of the steel. Japan makes good steel hence good tools. Pakistan melts garbage and makes garbage tools out of the slag runoff they call steel. China has gotten to where they can make good steel... but they still make plenty of crap steel, so you have to know the makers and the relative quality of their steel.

I purchased both Zama carbs made in China and parts for my Beetle made in Brazil without problems. VW parts made in brazil are made well.

038s were made in Brazil. Stihl is a world wide company with many overseas plants.
Was gonna say the same thing. I have two 038 mags, 1993 and 1995 both Brazil made. I know Stihl is quite particular about the steel they use to make bars, not sure about laminated but ES bars are made with German steel. Would think that holds true regardless of where they’re made.

I get that they can’t say “made in Germany” on the bar if it’s made in Brazil but it would probably make more sense to just omit the “made in Brazil” part at all for the Brazil bars. Or do what Apple does and say “Engineered in Germany” or something

Funny that's the Brazil listing and the bar says Made In Germany. 🇩🇪
41078.jpg

From my experience with tools... the making of the tool is far far less of a problem than the source of the steel. Japan makes good steel hence good tools. Pakistan melts garbage and makes garbage tools out of the slag runoff they call steel. China has gotten to where they can make good steel... but they still make plenty of crap steel, so you have to know the makers and the relative quality of their steel.
Exactly. For large scale high tech factory production, China kind of runs circles around most places including the US for their ability to do repetitive precision. Nearly all the processes are automated. All the problems are in the steel. Plenty of good companies manufacture in China and demand quality steel in their products and produce as good products as they would elsewhere. But lesser quality companies cut corners and produce crap. We were fed a whole line about Japanese products being inferior in the 80's when they were starting to eat our lunch. I now realize owning a variety of 80's-era Makita equipment that Japan has made top quality steel and products for decades. The factories are pretty much the same now wherever they are. The quality of steel being used for products is everything in tools, as you say. A lot of things that depend on real quality steel for strength, like pullers, I only buy old OTC made in the USA ones or the like because virtually none are made with quality steel anymore. Some things like Archer chain, which is regarded as cheap China junk by a lot of folks, is actually made from good quality Japanese alloy steel so it's not that bad. The chrome plating may not be as well done as some other chains and the teeth may not hold an edge as well as a result, but the steel of the chain is fine. For products manufactured in China, I try to find ones that specify they were made with Japanese steel where I can.

I assumed the Stihl 780 I got in Mexico five years ago was made in Brazil as it's the sort of the lesser known "Third World 880" that Stihl markets in less developed countries, but it actually is made in Germany. Bunch of Husky stuff including the 395's have been coming from Brazil for awhile without quality issues.

My reason for avoiding Chinese goods is political, not due to quality concerns. Chinese can and will build any level of quality you like, from nuke or space level(make sure you watch them like a hawk), down to hot smoking garbage.

If you say you need XYZ doohickey made at 123 ridiculously low price, a western company will say nope, can't be done. A Chinese company will say you got it boss, and happily turn out hot garbage that won't even function. Then they'll cheap it out even further, to keep more yuan for themselves, as will everyone else in the supply chain.

Definitely a different mindset.

Most Iron ore comes from banded Iron formations that were laid down when photosynthesis type organisms appeared on the planet and oxygen became part of the atmosphere. Then there are the ones that are meteoric in origin, pieces similar to what is in our planets core impacting the surface of the earth. There may be volcanic ore bodies as well. Recycled scrap yard stuff has also been mentioned. They had bog Iron mines In Ct I read in a book not sure about that one.

Oxygen lance is one type of furnace, there are others. Chances are by now the source of the ore isn't as important as when they were making swords and armor to protect against the swords.

Back