Stihl O34AV Super after market muffler advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

641workmaster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a used O34 super parts saw to fix up another of the same kind. Now I've come around to fixing this one up. It didn't come with the muffler so I ordered a new one. The muffler I bought was listed with the same Stihl part #1125 140 0607, noted for my saw in the part manual. Went to put it on and it falls about a 1/2" short of the cylinder. So I looked at the part manual again and it shows a cooling plate and a flange in front of the muffler along with the gasket. I can't find pictures on the internet for the flange or plate to see what thickness it is. Am I missing something here? I don't remember the other saw having these pieces and have since given it to my dad. Can I just fabricate a spacer out of aluminum plate?

If I get the correct setup to mount the muffler, should I modify the exhaust outlet? It just has a small 5/8" outlet.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Well I went ahead and fabricated my own "spacer" like the one shown in the parts illustration. I did have to cut back a protruding screw since this muffler appears wider and taller. The top corner of the cylinder shroud touches the corner of the muffler too. I'll see if it melts and may have to trim it. I found some older posts that said the CD (Canadian?) mufflers needed the spacer, apparently this is the muffler currently being reproduced. Some also said that an O36 cylinder on a O34av required one as well.

Still interested in what others have to say, especially about muffler modifications. This saw is an older saw before EPA restrictions but the muffler appears to be newer?

Back