Stihl obsolete parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WML48

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, I'm new here, so be real easy on me. Been reading this site for the last several days and have pretty much determined that getting an ignition coil for a 031AV is impossible. Some old posts discuss converting to an electronic ignition and others using an Atom module. I've owned this saw for 27 years, and have cut alot of wood with it, and damned if I want to give up on the old girl. I just find it hard to believe that nobody has some NOS parts? Any help here would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mark.

WML48 said:
Ok, I'm new here, so be real easy on me. Been reading this site for the last several days and have pretty much determined that getting an ignition coil for a 031AV is impossible. Some old posts discuss converting to an electronic ignition and others using an Atom module. I've owned this saw for 27 years, and have cut alot of wood with it, and damned if I want to give up on the old girl. I just find it hard to believe that nobody has some NOS parts? Any help here would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mark.

There zillions of old coils out there... if a site sponser doesn't respond with one, pm me and I'll put you in touch with a guy that has a bunch. The atom module only replaces the points, but be careful - the basic timing is wrong if you don't change the flywheel to the electronic version or remove the key and mount the old flywheel in a different position.

If your coil is OK, The ignition modules work great. I just did 2 031's in the last week with a Mega-fire module made by stens. If your coil is bad, keep looking for a parts saw, or NOS.
Scott

Thanks for all the help. Got a pm from a member who is sending me a coil to try. This is a great forum and I will try to return the favor when possible. I'll also post my results with the new part in a few days. Also, tried calling the Stihl phone number posted above but their answer was a flat no! Mark.

Latest posts

Back