Stihl oil can ID / info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm moving this post over to the "Chainsaw" section. It should get answers pretty quickly over there.

Someone more familiar with the Stihl logos will have to give a year. Sometimes you can find a copyright date on the cans. It looks to be metal on my phone, so it would be from some time in the mid to late 70's or earlier as that is when cardboard cans were introduced. I still have a 1/2 pint can of Homelite oil I bought in the late '70's floating around somewhere.

I'm saying it's around the 70's. Is there oil still in it ?

Yep, still full of oil. It's to be mixed 40:1 according to the directions, unless it's for break in on a new saw, or running in "extreme conditions", then it's 32:1. Came from the "Stihl American Inc." plant in Midland park NJ which is a little odd, because it don't see it mentioned on Stihl's timeline of history on their web page.

I'm guessing it's 70's vintage as well. Neat little piece of history, but I don't think i'd use the oil any more.....

Jeff.

I'm guessing it's 70's vintage as well. Neat little piece of history, but I don't think i'd use the oil any more.....

Jeff.

I doubt that oil that was in the earth for million of years is going to go bad after sitting in a can for a few years. The value of the can is in it not being opened, if you do use the oil open it from the bottom so it will still display.

Last edited:
I doubt that oil that was in the earth for million of years is going to go bad after sitting in a can for a few years. The value of the can is in it not being opened, if yo do use the oil open it from the bottom so it will still display.

Good point. I managed to get 4 of them, 3 still in the six pack ring all with oil. Looks like I may have to get a nice old saw to put them in front of.

Stihl moved from Greenwood Avenue in Midland Park in 1974 when they completed their plant in Virginia.

I used to ride my "Sting Ray" bicycle down and get stickers and talk to people there…. I was too young to know any better.

The link to the photo is missing. Could you post again or send to [email protected]

Thanks!

Stihl moved from Greenwood Avenue in Midland Park in 1974 when they completed their plant in Virginia.

I used to ride my "Sting Ray" bicycle down and get stickers and talk to people there…. I was too young to know any better.

The link to the photo is missing. Could you post again or send to [email protected]

Thanks!

Are you running on the left or the right? I don't see any mention of party affiliation.

Nice can. Ive got a couple of the newer cans but still trying to find the old one like you have. That's the old woodsman logo that was born during the production of the 070 / 090 during the 60's I believe

Sweet cans. I would not open them . The value is they are unused . I'm sure the oil is still as good as it was when it was canned but to 40 year old oil spec . Oil has come a long way . Oil from pre 80s was crap by today's standards . I have some sweet bell ray oil quarts that you need the pop in spout for I think are neat. I had a 6 pack genny beer cans from 1980 something but my buddy drank one .... Yuck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet cans. I would not open them . The value is they are unused . I'm sure the oil is still as good as it was when it was canned but to 40 year old oil spec . Oil has come a long way . Oil from pre 80s was crap by today's standards . I have some sweet bell ray oil quarts that you need the pop in spout for I think are neat. I had a 6 pack genny beer cans from 1980 something but my buddy drank one .... Yuck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I have no intention of opening them ( I got a couple). Oil's not terrible expensive yet, and it's probably helping to preserve the cans from the inside out!

I agree, Yuck on the Genny's - new or old. My father was a genny drinker. Even as a youngster I never got a taste for it.

Latest posts

Back