Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellas -

Need to place an order for some Valspar implement paint spray cans and want to get it right. Will take about 45 days to get here, since I can't ship it USPS Priority Mail; don't have time for a do-over.

I plan to use Ford Gray, but is 5339-13 the right one? Looks a bit dark to me - https://www.amazon.com/Valspar-5339...=1501096188&sr=8-2&keywords=valspar+ford+gray

And for the Kubota Orange that everyone uses, I see two colors are offered. There is the 5339-24 Kubota Orange https://www.amazon.com/Valspar-5339...1098112&sr=8-2&keywords=valspar+kubota+orange and the 5339-27 - New Kubota Orange https://www.amazon.com/Valspar-5339...1098112&sr=8-3&keywords=valspar+kubota+orange - it's hard to tell, but the New Kubota Orange looks like it has more red in it. Any recommendations?

For the self-etching primer, someone recommended green Duplicolor Self Etching. I've had good results with their stuff in the past, but there are two different ones -- DAP1690 https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-...r=8-1&keywords=duplicolor+self+etching+primer and DPPP101 https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-...r=8-4&keywords=duplicolor+self+etching+primer - I'm thinking the 1690 is the one I need, but if anyone has a recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

For fuel resistant clear try spray max brand part number 3680068. It is a two component catalyzed aerosol. Probably too shiney for a chainsaw lol. Warning, it contains isocyanites. Source: I sell automotive paint for a living.
AKA Imron®? I remember that stuff. Not recommended as a recreational inhalant, iirc. :confused:

Looking into this as well. Restoring an 009L, from the discussions, Kubota "New orange" (or orange II) is a good match. Have not found that in a quart can (to use the hardener & spray), the only list the earlier version (I assume)? Others paints discussed on the Kubota forums, Van Sickle, (looking for a distributor) and Rustoleum Lobster Red.

011.jpg 011 1.jpg Finished restoring an old, all orange 011AV. The New Kubota Orange or Kubota Orange 2 is an outstanding match for the Stihl Orange. I used Van Sickle's (relabeled by Tallmans AG Specialties). Valspar doesn't offer the Kubota 2 in quarts, but they do in spray cans.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kubota-Oran...089623&hash=item1c62a23fa9:g:K6YAAOSw3GtZvHSr

And their activator:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Sickle-...478934&hash=item5d622a5e5e:g:rgIAAOSwFjNZhKMA.

The original Kubota orange is the wrong shade (found out the hard way, now I have to buy an old Kubota tractor to use the quart I bought at Tractor Supply). Sprays very nicely, heavily pigmented, covers with two coats. Thin with Naptha (Lowes) and it goes on very smoothly and dries within a few hours (overnight). Fuel resistant once cured. Will likely clear coat with an automotive two part clear that I have from when I was restoring cars.

Looking for a "newer" 011 in white/gray to fix up. Might go with powder coat on this one. I live a few miles from Eastwood's home base. All of the powder coating equipment & powders are in their store. Hope to find a good match for the off white.

Any good autobody supply house can scan the color and get you an exact match. I have done this many times in the past and had perfect results. I have gotten the mixed paints for both metal and plastic in a quart container or in a rattle can. Hardeners/flex agents are also added. :cool:

I have absolutely given up on getting rattle can Valspar here in Europe. Have tried several ways to order it, contacted Valspar US and Valspar Europe. No luck. And no luck finding anything similar.

If I can't get Valspar Tractor and Implement paint in a quart or gallon, I'll find a local paint place that will mix up some (I have a compressor and gun). My question is what type -- I see that @blsnelling recommends Nason acrylic enamel machinery paint, but I don't know if I can find that here. Otherwise, I should just find someone who can custom mix acrylic enamel, right? Otherwise, I would have to pay dearly for some acrylic urethane, correct?

And I'll need some epoxy primer and some hardener, too, I think.

My spray gun is a high quality something or other that I bought for painting a car (haven't used it yet). Are you guys using something similar to what you'd use on a car or are you using a smaller gun like you would use for detail work?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Scott

a 2k paint will be harder, it will still chip though. I'm sure you'll have local paint places that would mix to the RAL or pantone numbers (see #32) in tin or rattle can, 1k or 2k. 2k rattle cans give a few hours of use after mixing the hardener in but are then useless, so fine for refurbing but not so good for touching up ovr time.

My wife, bless her heart, was shopping at a local fund raising store that sells donated items to raise money for local charities. She found two brand new 1-gallon cans and two 11oz rattle cans of Kubota orange paint. Bought them all for pennies on the dollar. I put that paint with my
Ford Light Grey tractor paint on the shelf. Both colors are a perfect match for my creamsicle saws!!!

a 2k paint will be harder, it will still chip though. I'm sure you'll have local paint places that would mix to the RAL or pantone numbers (see #32) in tin or rattle can, 1k or 2k. 2k rattle cans give a few hours of use after mixing the hardener in but are then useless, so fine for refurbing but not so good for touching up ovr time.

Thanks for the details. I'm headed to a larger auto paint store tomorrow to see what they can mix up.

Scott

Ok, went to a local paint shop and spent 130 euro on supplies. I got one liter of orange, two liters of gray, 3 cans of hardener, 1 can of fast hardener, 3 cans of thinner, and some high build primer. I suspect I have enough to paint 100 saws, but I wanted to err on the side of having too much. I have several Contra's to paint, an 038, a few 076's, etc. Brand is Lechler, seems to be a good quality paint from what I saw in a quick Google search.

London Neil - they used the RAL numbers you posted above, but I also brought in a few pieces to match. The gray was just a tad darker than the piece that I brought in, and I just told them to go with that color. The orange was a custom mix, and the RAL 2009 was a bit closer to the match than the RAL 2008.

Now I have to figure out how to mix all of this stuff up and spray it.

Attachments

• IMG_7747.JPG
    IMG_7747.JPG
    589.7 KB · Views: 8
Ok, went to a local paint shop and spent 130 euro on supplies. I got one liter of orange, two liters of gray, 3 cans of hardener, 1 can of fast hardener, 3 cans of thinner, and some high build primer. I suspect I have enough to paint 100 saws, but I wanted to err on the side of having too much. I have several Contra's to paint, an 038, a few 076's, etc. Brand is Lechler, seems to be a good quality paint from what I saw in a quick Google search.

London Neil - they used the RAL numbers you posted above, but I also brought in a few pieces to match. The gray was just a tad darker than the piece that I brought in, and I just told them to go with that color. The orange was a custom mix, and the RAL 2009 was a bit closer to the match than the RAL 2008.

Now I have to figure out how to mix all of this stuff up and spray it.
Lechler is decent paint. I used to use it whilst doing prison time at Land Rover's SVO workshops..

Back