Stihl Plastic Restoration, sort of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
It's actually some prices, written in permanent marker, on the filter housings of 3 Stihls I traded for. I'm a firm believer in function over form but this annoying ink is obviously disrupting air-flow to the filter and throwing off the carb tune!o_OBesides that, it annoys me to have my good saws marked like pawn shop junk. I know acetone will remove about anything but it will also leave a "fog" on some plastics.

So ideas from the audience? I don't know how deep and with what I can polish this plastic with and would like to hear from those who know rather than use trial and error. Thank you

if all you want is the price marks off use a mister clean magic eraser. takes it right off.

For something like ink or even sharpie marks on plastic I would spray some carb cleaner on a rag and wipe it off. As long as the carb cleaner isnt directly sprayed and left on the plastic for a long time it cant imagine it will dis color the plastic unless the plastics are in rough shape to being with.... give it a try.

Rubbing alcohol removes it but dont know how it will effect the plastic... cant be worse than dumping gas on it right?

Kerosene, sometimes gasoline, and/or silicone spray works well for me (also good for sap). Black Magic tire gel works good on bringing color back to oxidized or faded plastics.

Latest posts

Back