Stihl plug boot any tricks out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am trying to get the wire back into the plug boot on my Sthil project. First off is the difficulty threading the wire back into the boot as it has to turn 90 degrees and then the hard springy wire to connect to the plug has to be stabbed into the wire and pulled back into the boot without losing the whole shebang in the 90 degree turn. Finger sticks from the wire frequent. How do YOU do it?

I have done 2. One was easy because the plug boot was old and stretched out a bit. The only way new and I struggled a bit like you. I remember a finger stick. I think I did put a little white grease on it to make slide in easier.

I wrap and tie fishing line around the spring and wire and then apply some super glue. When fitting it in the boot, I use a long bolt that fits the spring and plenty of WD40. Don't forget to put the boot on the wire first. I learned it doesn't work the other way. HaHa.

You can get some fancy stuff in a tube caller rubber grease- that works pretty good- had some for brake cylinder end caps and a tube lasts a long time, added advantage of it not effecting the rubber.
Make sure your apposing wire ends are not over stretched and are a spring fit to the end of the cable- then brute force and ignorance usually work.

I apply wd-40 to the inside of the boot and wire then push the wire into the boot and use a pick with 45' or hookto grab and pull it up. grab the wire with hemostats and pull 2-3" extra through the boot. Use pliers to Pearce the terminal into the wire, I like to pull off a little of the insulation at the end so a 1/4 section of the conductor touches the terminal end. spray again into the boot and pull the terminal into position, if its a weird bent angle I may use hemostats and a large phillips screwdriver head to correct the terminal position in the boot pocket.
I replaced 4 ignition wires ad 2 boots/terminals in the last month! wd40 evaporates leaving everything dry and stuck in place after approx 24-48 hrs.

Back