Stihl quality = bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres probably an apology due from me too, I missed 2dogs first post and had a go at what looked like someone stirring the pot and taking shots that weren't called for. At least it sounds like the saw isn't as broke as it was last night :clap:

It turned out to be an interesting thread. I definitely learned something, I'm not 100% sure what though..

Cheers fella :msp_thumbup:
Yeah it's ok us kiwi boys are a hardy bunch ;) Im sorry for stuff also.
It has been a very interesting thread.
Good to see people chiming in with there "cheaper" made equipment stories also. That's the name of the game on forums tell people how you find things, don't hide it away :msp_biggrin:

Ok so I got the saw back and the oversize stud is definitely held a lot better in there. No movement what so ever I could see without using heaps of force. :clap: Finally!

The guy who put the stud in though needs a slap or two for what looks like he used a vice to thread it back into the saw. Squashed the threads down nicely on the stud...lol :bang:
I cleaned the threads up a bit and all in all I'll watch over it to see how it goes. So good so far!! :msp_biggrin:

I don't know much about this thread but Ive owned Husqvarnas Stihls and many others and I tend to believe that some features are good and some are bad. I always liked the switches on the Stihls better. They are easier to use in bad weather. I always liked the Husqvarna air filtration system . I don't have to clean the air filter as often. I can't say one is better than the other from what I have experienced and I don't baby anything. I hate the stihl flip caps and I love the husqvarna caps but really it boils down to your dealer and service and know how of the guy running the saw. I have never tried a Mikita/dolmar saw but I won't knock them either but thats just me.

Maybe you don't but I'd bet if I walked into 10 Stihl dealers 9 would push the 290- 291. Steve

I have 3 dealers close by. Two have been in the business a long time. They carry pro and homeowner saws. They help you pick out what you'll be satisfied with. The other dealer is new. Carries no pro saws at all. Has a shelf full of MS29-'s plus a few smaller saws. You already know what he wants you to look at.:chainsaw:

Ok so I got the saw back and the oversize stud is definitely held a lot better in there. No movement what so ever I could see without using heaps of force. :clap: Finally!

The guy who put the stud in though needs a slap or two for what looks like he used a vice to thread it back into the saw. Squashed the threads down nicely on the stud...lol :bang:
I cleaned the threads up a bit and all in all I'll watch over it to see how it goes. So good so far!! :msp_biggrin:

Still sounds like you need this 210 I got.:msp_biggrin:

I don't know much about this thread but Ive owned Husqvarnas Stihls and many others and I tend to believe that some features are good and some are bad. I always liked the switches on the Stihls better. They are easier to use in bad weather. I always liked the Husqvarna air filtration system . I don't have to clean the air filter as often. I can't say one is better than the other from what I have experienced and I don't baby anything. I hate the stihl flip caps and I love the husqvarna caps but really it boils down to your dealer and service and know how of the guy running the saw. I have never tried a Mikita/dolmar saw but I won't knock them either but thats just me.

Some like Huskies, some like Stihl's. I like them both, and STIHL is my latest.:msp_rolleyes:

my cheapy 42cc craftsman has a ported muffler and wears a 18" bar with 91vxl chain. i've tried and tried to hurt the thing(cause i want a 5100). that crap saw absolutely rips thru wood. it was the main saw for 8 cords of wood a year and blow downs for the last 4 seasons of course until i got CAD last year and now have to many saws to count. it's my loaner now if someone needs one cause i know it won't break. and never once has my toolless chain tensioner/nut given me a problem.....best saw is the one you enjoy. i have worked for a echo/dolmar/tanaka dealer for the last 7 years i try 110% to get the customers equipment fixed under warranty. because a happy customer means a returning customer.

come to think about it i miss that little bugger maybe i'll take it for a spin tomorrow. noticed a few leeners from the driveway:msp_biggrin:

edit: oh btw i just read this whole thread and it was like walking into the bathroom and seeing **** all over the walls...amazingly i learned quite a bit about the cheaper stihls

Last edited:
A good dealer of *anything* should not push his own opinions on his customers, but rather respect their ability to make their own decisions. When presenting saws, he should neutrally give the pros and cons of each one, and not give his own opinion on which to go with unless he's asked. Furthermore, he should ask the customer what he's looking for in a saw.

Quality?
Price?
Reliability?
Good handling?
Longevity?
Serviceability?

The answers to these questions will point to different saws from any maker.

Maybe you don't but I'd bet if I walked into 10 Stihl dealers 9 would push the 290- 291. Steve

Takes me back several years. Needed to replace a high mileage Johnyred. Asked for a good 20" saw. Yep, 290. "I haven't heard much good about them". Took a 310 out the door. So, yes, he tried to push a 290.

Harry K

A good dealer of *anything* should not push his own opinions on his customers, but rather respect their ability to make their own decisions. When presenting saws, he should neutrally give the pros and cons of each one, and not give his own opinion on which to go with unless he's asked. Furthermore, he should ask the customer what he's looking for in a saw.

Quality?
Price?
Reliability?
Good handling?
Longevity?
Serviceability?

The answers to these questions will point to different saws from any maker.
An MS290 will do all things except #4 very well imo. So should they push that saw?

Have u seen him I'm pretty certain he likes cookies ;) j/k

Cookies and cream ice cream to be exact.:rock:

And no, I'm not too bad at cutting cookies either.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9xxN9a4Kw8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9xxN9a4Kw8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Cookies and cream ice cream to be exact.:rock:

And no, I'm not too bad at cutting cookies either.

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9xxN9a4Kw8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g9xxN9a4Kw8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

OH MY; he is a cookie MONSTER ! :msp_scared:

An MS290 will do all things except #4 very well imo. So should they push that saw?

Yes; the MS290 is a good saw at a very agreeable price tag. That said, considering it's weight, If I'm going to lug a heavy saw around, I want all the CC's I can get in it.:chainsawguy::rockn:

I don't think a salesman should "push" any saw. A salesman should be a reference, not a dictator.

That's a little over the top. Pushing a saw doesn't make a dictator out of a salesman. If that was the case, the customer would be forced to buy the saw.

Many small dealers do not even carry certain models, because they rarely sell. The MS290/029 has been a huge seller for 20 years, the 025/ms250 sold great/ as did the 017/MS170 too.

Small dealers hate looking at their money tied up in saws that don't move.

My mom bought a MS190 (not sure but I think that was it) a few years ago and ended up getting rid of it because it would not run right. Well, nothing could be done because it had non-adjustable jets. You can thanks the EPA for that.
Non-adjustable jets, limiter caps, cat mufflers - those are not required by the regulations, they're just the cheap and stupid "solutions" brought to you by corporations that don't want to invest in product development. As we're seeing now it was possible all along to meet these emissions requirements and vastly improve the saw design and performance, but these companies people get so attached to were perfectly happy to keep taking your money for junk. They were busy spending it on management bonuses. Corporations - I guess you kinda need 'em but you don't have to like 'em and you sure shouldn't ever trust 'em.

When I'm considering a saw one of the first things I like to look at is the IPL - how it is designed and put together is far more important than the name on the side.

Latest posts

Back