Stihl rollomatic ES narrow or wide tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little confused here, unless Stihl in the US has different bar tips then Canada. All my 3/8"[.375]bars Stihl ES ,Oregon Powermatch,Windsor Speedtip have a 11 tooth sprocket tip. These tips to me are large. The only larger tip I have is an old Oregon medium contour 2 7/8" 12 tooth sprocket tip. My small tip bars are the Oregon Double Guard or Windsor mini-pro and they both have 9 tooth in the 3/8". My Oregon .325 Double Guard bars are 10 tooth.
Some advice to logging or tree service owners or supervisors. To help eliminate kickback injuries in your operations you should be implementing mini-tips [safety tips ] on your saws, which are the Oregon Double Guard and Windsor Mini Pro for professional use, never saw a Stihl 9Tooth small tip. The forestry company I fell for years back had a mini tip [safety tip] only policy. Any cutter caught with the large 11 or 12 tooth tip was sent home for 3 days with no pay, 3rd warning: termination of employment. We had a good safety record LOL. I find the small tip is a little slower boring but starting the cut was smoother.

:givebeer:
I'm a little confused here, unless Stihl in the US has different bar tips then Canada. All my 3/8"[.375]bars Stihl ES ,Oregon Powermatch,Windsor Speedtip have a 11 tooth sprocket tip. These tips to me are large. The only larger tip I have is an old Oregon medium contour 2 7/8" 12 tooth sprocket tip. My small tip bars are the Oregon Double Guard or Windsor mini-pro and they both have 9 tooth in the 3/8". My Oregon .325 Double Guard bars are 10 tooth.
Some advice to logging or tree service owners or supervisors. To help eliminate kickback injuries in your operations you should be implementing mini-tips [safety tips ] on your saws, which are the Oregon Double Guard and Windsor Mini Pro for professional use, never saw a Stihl 9Tooth small tip. The forestry company I fell for years back had a mini tip [safety tip] only policy. Any cutter caught with the large 11 or 12 tooth tip was sent home for 3 days with no pay, 3rd warning: termination of employment. We had a good safety record LOL. I find the small tip is a little slower boring but starting the cut was smoother.

I feel obliged to state that the small tips save some weight out there as well.....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl:

....but they do look a bit funny (Oregon 9t that is) - wouldn't want one....

Last edited:
The small nose radius bars(11t) are there for the reduced weight, the 13t bars are better performing equipment.

I guess we do... 13 are the prefered bar out here... and OSHA has no problem with them - of course..."professional use only"

Last edited:
I guess we do... 13 are the prefered bar out here... and OSHA has no problem with them - of course..."professional use only"

Interesting. Now I see why Stihl has so many warnings on their sawchain in the USA, tips that big you sure wouldn't want to be held liable if someone who didn't know what he was doing filing the depth gauges.

Last edited:
The Rescue bar has an 11T nose...

I know Tzed ,I got the kink out of my neck went back and turned the chart,I see the red type saying its a 11T. How long have you guys been getting those 13T bars?:confused:

Like I said earlier you sure wouldn't want to put a 13T -20" bar in the hands of someone who put his depth gauges way down too low,thats the reason our logging company made small [9T]mandatory because of that exact reason ,even logging companies have greenhorns learning to file. For the firewood cutters sure the modern inertia chainbrakes may save you, but what if some joe put that bar on a much older saw with a poor chainbrake ? It wouldn't pass CSA standards here in Canada, and if CSA did approve it someone really screwed up.

Last edited:
:givebeer:

I feel obliged to state that the small tips save some weight out there as well.....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl:

....but they do look a bit funny (Oregon 9t that is) - wouldn't want one....

Hey SawTroll are 13T .375 Stihl tips available in Norway?

If memory serves, that would be special order, as they aren't in the catalog - 10 and 11t only.

Can anyone answer this , are these bars[13T] made in Virgina Beach?

One of the reason I love this site, I learn something all the time, too bad I just started using a computer last year! Gotta get some of those tips for competition bar building.
You know with all the legal liabilitys and lawsuits which seem to be rampant in the USA these days why would Stihl sell a 20" bar with a oversized 13T tip???
Even here in Canada the public have to be warned about almost every potential hazard ,make standards and regulations and post them in legal print but someone always seems to find a way to buck the system and find a loophole and sue the crap out of somebody.
This is for SawTroll: When I travelled through Norway in 2002 I was at the big fortress in Oslo harbour. Up top I noticed people and kids walking along the edge of the fortress grounds some even sitting on the edge with their feet dangling down looking straight down the brick wall at the parking lot 20 meter[65 feet] below. No guard rails ,warning signs,nothing!! I said to my wife who is a crown attorney, '' wouldn't somebody get sued here if somebody got hurt?" She answers "Haven't you heard of Natural Selection? People are smart here,long ago all the dumb ones fell over to their deaths".
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
The 13T Bars are made in Germany. Va Beach is only making the NON-ES bars so far.

They may not be available in other areas of the USA, but StihlNW sure sells a lot of them to the logging/tree service industy.

As for your warning issue... they aren't sold on consumer saws...

The 13T Bars are made in Germany. Va Beach is only making the NON-ES bars so far.

They may not be available in other areas of the USA, but StihlNW sure sells a lot of them to the logging/tree service industy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for your warning issue... they aren't sold on consumer saws...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah but that doesn't stop the non pro consumer from putting them on their own saws, and a dealer can't stop a non pro consumer from buying a 660 with a 20" big tip.

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah but that doesn't stop the non pro consumer from putting them on their own saws, and a dealer can't stop a non pro consumer from buying a 660 with a 20" big tip.

And that is the way it should be. A man should be able to determine his path, without zealots and do-rights interfering at every corner. You have a bikesaw, don't act like you are the only one that knows how to handle something with an element of danger.

This is for SawTroll: When I travelled through Norway in 2002 I was at the big fortress in Oslo harbour. Up top I noticed people and kids walking along the edge of the fortress grounds some even sitting on the edge with their feet dangling down looking straight down the brick wall at the parking lot 20 meter[65 feet] below. No guard rails ,warning signs,nothing!! I said to my wife who is a crown attorney, '' wouldn't somebody get sued here if somebody got hurt?" She answers "Haven't you heard of Natural Selection? People are smart here,long ago all the dumb ones fell over to their deaths".
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers:
That would be the Akershus Fortress.

Liability laws are very different here, compared to the US - and the difference is to the better (for us).

If it is your own stupidity, it is usually ruled as that, to a much higher extent.

Chains like the RM2, RSC3, PM1, Oregon Vanguard, SL etc are virtually unheard of here, but the 91VG is here for some odd reason.....

Last edited:
And that is the way it should be. A man should be able to determine his path, without zealots and do-rights interfering at every corner. You have a bikesaw, don't act like you are the only one that knows how to handle something with an element of danger.

Bike saw or no bike saw, I have seen alot of scary filed sawchains in my travels and some of the worst were from PNW fallers in smaller timber ,depth gauges down to 50 thous on a new cutter and the leading corner of the depth gauge not rounded off. I can see a 13t tip on a 36" bar but a 20" as the catalog shows? :jawdrop:

Last edited:
Bike saw or no bike saw, I have seen alot of scary filed sawchains in my travels and some of the worst were from PNW fallers in smaller timber ,depth gauges down to 50 thous on a new cutter and the leading corner of the depth gauge not rounded off. I can see a 13t tip on a 36" bar but a 20" as the catalog shows? :jawdrop:

Stihl Makes 3/8 .050 bars with 13t noses in 20, 25, 28, 32, and 36 inches.

3/8 .063 is 20, 25, 30, and 36.

The 20" 13T will be for eastern harwood. The faller is looking for good boring manners and long life from the large roller.

Back