Stihl RSC chain on a Jred 2159?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of recommendations for Stihl RSC chain on this forum, but I'm wondering about using it on a Jonsered saw. Stihl bars (I think) are proprietary, but how 'bout their chains? Their RSC is the only chain I know of that Stihl still makes which fits my current set-up (.058 guage, 3/8 pitch). Will it work on my Jonnsy without any modifications? I'm running a solid Total RSN bar (20").

Also, does it really reduce vibrations that much?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, if you can get it in the right gauge (We can't here, even though I know they make it:angry2: ).

RSC is highly recommendable:rockn: , but don't expect a major jump in cutting performance over Oregon LP.
The stay-sharp is slightly better though.:rockn:

.050 in .058

i often wondered about that myself, due to the .050 guage of the stihl chain and the slightly larger .058 guage of the jonsered (oregon) bar. would there be any slop, would this cause the chain to be more prone to jumping out of the bar, anyone?

woodfarmer said:
i often wondered about that myself, due to the .050 guage of the stihl chain and the slightly larger .058 guage of the jonsered (oregon) bar. would there be any slop, would this cause the chain to be more prone to jumping out of the bar, anyone?
Don't do it!

If nothing else, you will accellerate wear on the bar and the chain.
Crooked cutting is also likely, at least after doing it for a while.

Whatever chain you choose to use, make sure it is the correct gauge for the bar.

SawTroll said:
Yes, if you can get it in the right gauge (We can't here, even though I know they make it:angry2: ).

RSC is highly recommendable:rockn: , but don't expect a major jump in cutting performance over Oregon LP.
The stay-sharp is slightly better though.:rockn:

SawTroll, if you're interested, and we can figure out a way to complete the transaction, I will be happy to do the legwork over here to get you some.

PM me if you're interested.

Wood_Newbie,
You might still be able to find some Stihl RS 3/8 .058 gauge. I found a dealer who visited another dealer that had bought a bunch of Stihl supplies. He Still had a partial roll of "35RS" 3/8" pitch, .058 gauge and made me 2 68 driver loops for my Husky 359, which I believe is almost identical to your 2159. He said the dealer still had enough for maybe 2 more loops. The RS is a tad rougher than the RSC in my opinion but still a very good chain. I think that Stihl chains hold their edge better than Oregon. If you want to send me a PM, I'll try and get you some contact info.

Latest posts

Back