stihl second chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikecutstrees

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
have people seen this yet? Bought a MS361 today and one version of the saw had a second chain brake. When you took your hand off the saw trigger handle it stopped the chain from moving. It shouldn't move anyways if tuned correctly. Seemed like just another lawyer trying to add more safety crap to saws. I bought the saw without it. How long till they outlaw chainsaws or make you take a class and get a permit to own one I wonder? I mean this is supposed to be a PRO SAW!!! geesh.....

That is actually a second saftey measure. If you are falling and not able to hit the chain brake or the inertia chain brake does not work by letting go it ensures the chain is not spinning if it does come in contact with you. Not a bad idea if you ask me.

That is actually a second saftey measure. If you are falling and not able to hit the chain brake or the inertia chain brake does not work by letting go it ensures the chain is not spinning if it does come in contact with you. Not a bad idea if you ask me.

+1 My wife bought me my 361 with this quick stop feature and I was gonna return it, 2 years later - my opinion has changed - I really like it. Its no problem to work with and I actually wish it was available on my other saws. Well, I guess the safety guys will see to that soon enough.

I have found that any C variant Stihl saw is either a love or a hate.

I have never used the C-Q variant, and probably won't.

Have one just because they had it in my store and I wanted a 361 and they gave it to me for pretty cheap. I've made sure that I didn't take the second brake off while running the saw in every day running. I'm thinking that this should save the brake from burning too soon. Might not work, but good for me. Do I want it on all my saws? Not sure, but I don't mind it.

I have it on my 280. To the original poster. Seems like you had a choice didn't it.

or make you take a class and get a permit to own one I wonder?

i actually think that they should. i mean in idiot with a chainsaw can be just as dangerous as one with a gun. just look on youtube of all the idiots you see dropping trees in their backyard with their little crap saws they got at wally world and have it take down the power lines or land on the neighbors truck. no thanks.

Who wouldn't want a chainsaw that stops when the trigger is let go?

or make you take a class and get a permit to own one I wonder? I mean this is supposed to be a PRO SAW!!! geesh.....

Hey what an idea!!!
No really, in the UK to rent or buy a top handle saw 020t, 200t and the like you have to show your 'ticket' with the...'Climb trees and perform aerial rescue' and 'chainsaw from a rope and harness CS39, endorsements on it. And to get CS39 you have to have CS30 and 31 first...so at minimum you will have done 80 hrs of hands on practical training and assessment to the recognized NATIONAL standard in maintenance, crosscutting, felling small trees including hungups and leaners, climbing, ariel rescue, branch removal and pruning.

But that is there, here in the land of fun and sun...let 'er go lulu, buy what you want, cut what you want, even if you don't know what the :censored: you are doing!

my 280 has it, thought it would be extra work for the hand and be tiring but it is not. the interlock sort of goes past center and don't even notice it is there.

it is not a secnd brake, just a second linkage to the same brake.

Only down side I see is that at starting, when engine goes to high idle, this second brake is engaged, have to quick grab the handle and release it or it works the clutch.

never used, or had the need, but it seems to be good insurance with no real down sides....

the quick chain adjust though, I would not buy that again....

The Quick Stop feature is nice to have. But it does take some getting used to. You don't know it's there until you hand the saw to your FIL for a few cuts and he lets go of the handle at half throttle and jumps the chain off the bar and buggers up some of the drive links:(
The previous owner had the idle set up to high and melted the brake cover. The saw sat apart for a couple of years, parts got lost, and I ended up with it for free. $120 later I had a virtually new 036 QS. CSW

+1 My wife bought me my 361 with this quick stop feature and I was gonna return it, 2 years later - my opinion has changed - I really like it. Its no problem to work with and I actually wish it was available on my other saws. Well, I guess the safety guys will see to that soon enough.

Good to see an honest assessment from someone who has actually used it!

My 036 has it and the ms280 i like it and so does one of my mates, We were cutting posts and he was feeding the sawbench an i was cutting I dont know what he did but he dropped a bit of post and went to grab it! I think the rear brake saved his skin!

For sharpening on the saw its great just grab the interlock and turn the chain let it go and it locks right away.

Who wouldn't want a chainsaw that stops when the trigger is let go?

Most of us! :greenchainsaw: :censored:

It means more wear and tear, more things that could go wrong - and when you get used to it, and it suddenly doesn't work, it is a downright liability. :censored:

Last edited:
Most of us! :greenchainsaw: :censored:

It means more wear and tear, more things that could go wrong - and when you get used to it, and it suddenly doesn't work, it is a downright liability. :censored:

The brake spring broke on my 280 but that was nothing to do with the rear brake.
I doubt they are prone to breaking down more than a plain chain brake

On the 036 the choke lever holds the interlock lever and it will start with the chain spinning the 280 wont

So as one guy said yes there is a choice, Just seems like to me that saws are getting over safety thought. More weight more things to break and then when someone gets hurt with the newest safety devise anyways they will add more stuff untill the saws usefulness is severely compromised. It's a tool, you need to know how to use it. I hate it when they make things idiot proof and people who are trained and use the tool safely are penalized. I guess I just see the progression and don't like where it is going..... Mike

I think we have been here before!
lets take off all the chainbrakes and antivibe!
If you take a QS brake apart theres an extra cable and a couple of levers not really much to go wrong!

Back