Stihl Tachometers - Differences between?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beelsr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What's the difference between the EDT-7 & EDT-8. Other than $20, that is.

The 8 is a "pocket" model and the 7 "deluxe". Which means that the 7 does 2 & 4 stroke ala the -5?

Also, anyone have the manuals for the above 3 tachs avail? They're not on Sithl's website...

My dealer had not a clue about the new tachs. Wanted to sell me an EDT-5 but I'd rather drop the $ on something 'future-proof'...

How much did your dealer want for the EDT-5? It had replaceable batt right?
My dealer said he could only get the 7 and 8 now. 302 and 5 was discontinued.

Ha- Ha, just send me one that works - I need it.......:rockn: :rockn:

What do they cost over there sawtroll? :bowdown: Going by your saw prices, you can get a good tach for a small fee of $500 or a arm and half a leg. :biggrinbounce2:

Instructions for the 8 are pretty self explanatory....

Shows you how to either use no wire, use the 6" wire, or use the 24" wire with the clip on the end.

Thats it.

Instructions for the 8 are pretty self explanatory....

Shows you how to either use no wire, use the 6" wire, or use the 24" wire with the clip on the end.

Thats it.

Was interested in the manuals not for the "how to" - even i can figure that much out... :laugh: But to read the specifications pages on them...

Hi,
I am new here but, I recently purchased an EDT-8. Questions-----> I see that there is no ON\OFF button and the batteries seem to be enclosed and not replaceable.:angry: Imho that is junk. I have spoke with my dealer and was told there will be another new and improved tach in the next 6 months. I am considering returning this one and waiting.

Carlyle

ps No I don't know the difference between any of them.

Hi,
I am new here but, I recently purchased an EDT-8. Questions-----> I see that there is no ON\OFF button and the batteries seem to be enclosed and not replaceable.:angry: Imho that is junk. I have spoke with my dealer and was told there will be another new and improved tach in the next 6 months. I am considering returning this one and waiting.

Carlyle

ps No I don't know the difference between any of them.

Those lcd readouts use so little current, and the self-dischare rate of Li batteries is so low, and the total use of the tach so small, that it would probably outlive me. I'm thinking about an EDT 8. They should include a little thin-film pv module like a lot of cheap calculators, then the battery would NEVER be an issue.

So whats the edt-7 look like? it seems to be the one replacing the edt-5.

What's the difference between the EDT-7 & EDT-8. Other than $20, that is.

The 8 is a "pocket" model and the 7 "deluxe". Which means that the 7 does 2 & 4 stroke ala the -5?

Also, anyone have the manuals for the above 3 tachs avail? They're not on Sithl's website...

My dealer had not a clue about the new tachs. Wanted to sell me an EDT-5 but I'd rather drop the $ on something 'future-proof'...

I believe the difference between the 7 and 8 is size for one, and the 7 will read both 4 and 2 stroke motors.

The 8 has no exterior buttons, nor does it look like the ability to change the battery unless you want to cut it open and glue it back together.

I believe Lakeside said the 8 is "smarter" than your average tach, which is why it will work with the current ignitions and the newer ones coming out.

I was told that the EDT-8 will tach anything. That being 2 & 4 strokes and newer ignition. I basically told my dealer I wanted the latest and greatest, which in turn his Stihl Rep said that to be the EDT-8. Sorry guys but it is still in the box in my truck, I only took a quick glance. I will hopefully try it tomorrow on 066, 460, 110R, 260, 441, 361, 85, 88 and 420 BR/SR among others.

Carlyle

Baileys TAC

How do those Sthil TAC's compare to the Baileys TAC ??....spec's shown below

SenDEC Hand Held Tach
Item No: 17122

SenDEC's shop tach is a high RPM maintenance meter. This tachometer reads up to 16,000 RPM, has maximum RPM recall and clear functions and can be programmed for up to 3 different firing patterns. This patented meter uses one simple push button to access all of these functions. Comes with screw mounting holes if you wish to attach the tachometer to a permanent surface.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SenDEC STS-5000 Shop Tachometer

Price: $69.95

Last edited:
anyone use there fluke 88 multimeter with the rpm setting? though I would try as it will work on 2 and 4 cycle engines. my only issue will be getting enough room to get the clamp around the plug wire.

what is the going rate?

I looked at a tach at the shop on thursday and I was suprised to see that it was $120.00- I did not notice the model # beacuse I knew it was not in the price range.

Bailey's tach for 1/2 the cost for saw tuning seems like a no brainer. Am i missing something?

K

I looked at a tach at the shop on thursday and I was suprised to see that it was $120.00- I did not notice the model # beacuse I knew it was not in the price range.

Bailey's tach for 1/2 the cost for saw tuning seems like a no brainer. Am i missing something?

K

I must have read 100's of AS posts on tachometers.

I'd skip the Bailey's tach and get this one for $85. (TT-20K model)

http://tinytach.com/design/handheld.php

Back