Stihl tool help, please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithEC

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to place an order for Stihl parts and included in my list is part number 5910 890 4500, which I understand to be the limiter cap removal tool for my MS460 and for probably other saws.

The parts book apparently doesn't list a price but the folks tell me that there is a number 4 by the part number. They call Stihl and the price quoted is $399. Thats $399, not $3.99. Obviously something isn't quite what it seems here so the folks go back into the book and the book actually refers you to another part number which would seem to replace the 5910 890 4500 number. They call Stihl with that part number and the quote is now $48. I failed to note that particular part number.

Any thoughts on what's going on here? Is there a tool book that is separate from a parts book? If so, surely the number wouldn't be duplicated in any case. Is $48 correct for that number and the idea is that it's 4 times $12?

This is not chainsaw country down here. Stihl is sold simply as a sideline at Western Auto or whatever.

Thanks!

edit for spelling

Last edited:
You want the 5910-890-4500. I have a few (several tool boxes) and didn'y pay more than $5 for any of them. The $399 is a mis-quote it should be $3.99. The tool is nothing more than screwdriver looking handle with a left hand macnine thread cut on the end of the shaft. Walbro and others make the same tool but I don't have the part number in front of me for the Walbro version.

This came up just a while ago, about this tool being prohibitively expensive. Something's funny somewhere. The part number is 5910 890 4500 A. That's not from a manual, that's from the actual tool right in front of me. I paid like $4 or $5 for mine. If you can't get one, let me know, and I'll send you one.

Jeff

The "4" is just a movement number, where 1 sells a lot and 13 sells very little... And yes, $3.99 is much closer to the truth!

Something is funny somewhere. The only problem is I'm not laughing.

Finally thought to call 1-800-GO-STIHL and the fella' tells me that 5910 890 4500 is absolutely correct. He also tells me that the MSRP is $3.99.

Called the place where I tried to place the order and told them that the $399 was obviously a mis-quote and suggested they order using the part number provided.

It would be too much of a coincidence for 5910 890 4500 A (a part) at $3.99 to be part of 5910 890 4500 (a set) at $399, right? I hesitate to call back suggesting that we add an A. If they call me back when they order insisting that it's $399, I'll add the A and see how it goes. Actually, I'll probably call as soon as I'm done with this post.

Never thought I'd be the guy to turn something simple into something difficult. I do appreciate the info and the offer for the tool.

edit to say I called Stihl before seeing the replies here; not as a means to verify. I know ya'll know what you're talking about.

Latest posts

Back