Stihl Trimmer questions and request for IPL's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intimidator_3

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for IPL's for my two stihl trimmers. I have a FS55RC that I use around the house and it works well for what I do. I wouldlike to have the IPL just for reference and maybe to try removing the "nozzle" from the muffler for more power - this is just something I read about here - try it ir not?

Secondly - I have a FS36 that my Dad gave me because it wouldn't run. Best I can tell the primer bulb isn't working properly. The primer bulb actually looks as if it may be working in reverse! When you pump the primer it forces air into the tank which forces gas out the "breather" and then the gas runs out inside the case. What is going on here? I know that the fuel line needs to be replaced with the green stuff and the carb probably could use a good cleaning too. Maybe someone can explain this or send me an IPL so that I can see if everything is assembled correctly or not. I think that someone has worked on this machine before and who knows what they have done to it.

Thanks,

Dale

Be careful messing with the mufflers on a trimmer... it's max power developed is "set" by the length of the string. If you increase the power, you also have to increase the length of the string to keep the rpm down, the engine will likely overheat and in any case, the guard etc will be all wrong. Best to leave them alone... particularly on the low end units.

FS36: sounds like someone has put the two fuel lines on backwards... try reversing them.

The fuel lines being reversed is what I thought too but from the way the thing goes together it looks like they are correct. The primer bulb snaps into a plastic part of the case and is keyed to only go in one way. When it sanps into the holder the fuel lines are lined up with the holes in the tank so that its suggests that it is assembeled correctly. I suppose someone could have replaced the primer bulb with the wrong part. Does Stihl use different primer bulbs that have reversed operations?

Thanks for the advice on the 55, I think that I will just leave it be.

Dale

hmmm... I'll have to go look at an FS36... The IPL won't tell you the order of the hoses. You'll need the service manual. Your local Stihl dealer should be able to tell right away if you show him the machine.

Maybe this can help...

Last edited:
I reversed the fuel lines and removed the plastic keying feature so that the primer bulb would go in upside down. Machine runs now but the choke is really picky about where it is set. To run at what I think is normal RPM the choke has to be closed pretty far. Thanks to all those who helped.

Dale

The primer is for Ryan/Ryobi/idc trimmers, which the fs36 is one.

It is not really a primer, but a purge, which pulls fuel through the carb,
then to the tank. Sounds like you should go through the carb fully, and
replace the inlet needle, so get the full kit, get it from a non-Stihl dealer
and you will save a bunch. Also make sure the gasket behind the carb is
not ripped.

The "green" fuel line just applies to the newer style trimmers, as Stihl
had a "major" problem with the molded fuel lines on th fs 55 series trimmers.

Back