Stihl trivia question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK guys no looking in your books and you dealers don't count. Here is the question. On the pro model saws there is a black line around the saw between the handles. What is it for? Hint: it aint a racing stripe.

aren't they "properly" referred to as gunning lines? not that I'm proper (or even know what I'm talking about)

Yep, it's to aim the notch cut, just noticed that in the manual for the 660. I always thought it was just cosmetic.

Blowdown1 said:
aren't they "properly" referred to as gunning lines? not that I'm proper (or even know what I'm talking about)

Since I am sure we can all agree that Stihl is "the authority" on all things related to chainsaws, I just checked the Stihl Manual.

They are called "Gunning Sights". And so it shall be for all eternity!

Joe

fwf said:
Since I am sure we can all agree that Stihl is "the authority" on all things related to chainsaws, I just checked the Stihl Manual.

They are called "Gunning Sights". And so it shall be for all eternity!

Joe

Nuts, here I thought they were raceing stripes. I was going to paint one on my 310 to make it cut faster.

Harry K

I have used them for it, works like a charm. the tree falls right where you want it to.

Butch(OH) said:
Yep, it's to aim the notch cut, just noticed that in the manual for the 660. I always thought it was just cosmetic.
What, please tell were you sighting your face with before? :confused:

I think it is the armor that keeps the Stihls strong. Take it of and you have a Poulan. :p
Like Standing on a newspaper to get a vase on the top shelf. :)

Blowdown1 said:
aren't they "properly" referred to as gunning lines? ................
Agreed.
I think most of the better chainssaws of today have something similiar, but not all is as obvious as Stihls variant. On the Husky's they are a little more discreet, and not filled with a standout color from the factory.
On the Jred's I think you are supposed to use the front handlebar, which is square to the bar. They have in fact used this fact in their marketing at times.

Last edited:
P_woozel said:
What, please tell were you sighting your face with before? :confused:

Never had a problem putting a tree on the ground where I wanted it. Stopped the saw in the bottom of the notch cut and just took a look. Guess some's got it and somes don't?

oldsaw-addict said:
I have used them for it, works like a charm. the tree falls right where you want it to.

The tree falling "right where you want it to" 100% of the time is very unlikely. I usually get about 90%ish out of "right where I want it" and the last 10% ain't too far off.

Usually just use the handle of the saw for "gunning" or "sighting" for direction of fall. The stripe sounds interesting...wonder if I could use yellow instead of black... :p

Back