Stihl ts400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Gillett

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We have a ts 400 that would not idle. checked with presser and would not hold. tore down and the crank shaft was loose. took the flywheel off
and the bearing is loose in the housing. Can you use a brass shim around the bearing to make it fit tight in the housing ? Would like to not buy
a housing to fix it but looks like a new housing is more then the saw would be used for sale. Looked on E bay and there is a used complete one
for 60.00 but would not be sure its good. Any help would be grateful.
Lester

My brother just bought a parts 400. He needs some things off it and so do i. Might have left what u need if its good. Probably be a couple weeks before i know.
Thanks i just need the crankshaft housing if it can't be fixed. we have a new carb and coil as its a work saw for a concrete co. i may try
using a brass shim first. Does the bearing fit tight in the housing or on the shaft ? Other than the housing the saw is in good shape.
Lester

Thanks i just need the crankshaft housing if it can't be fixed. we have a new carb and coil as its a work saw for a concrete co. i may try
using a brass shim first. Does the bearing fit tight in the housing or on the shaft ? Other than the housing the saw is in good shape.
Lester

Bearing should be a press fit on crank and crankcase. I think a replacement case is in order

Which side do you need?
They get ran with worn bearings too long, and the pocket gets hammered out loose.
It's bearing on both sides are common 6202, and 6203 from any auto parts store.
If you need a housing let me know which side you need, and if fan side, two or three bolt coil.

Alexcagle we need both sides of the ts 400. It is a 3 bolt coil. do you have both and what is the price plus shipping to 64055
Independence Mo

Depending on the amount of wear, Locite has a product that will take up .015 ~ .020. The directions have to be followed.
I've used it with excellent results. If the clearances are beyond, don't waste the time.
If you have a lot of clearance, you had better look at other components such as small end/wrist pin area.
It used to be red, now I think its green. But I've used the hi temp red for brg retention also.
I suspect its all the same product except for viscosity and temp range.

Latest posts

Back