stihl usa? germany? china?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecarrr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the dolmar/china thread so I made a new one. I recently picked up a stihl ms170 as a backup saw incase my john deere gets stuck and also to clear brush. I like the light weight for that. well, on the saw it says "manufactured by stihl inc., usa. with domestic and foreign components". it dosent say where the saw was made. is my saw chinese crap? I try my best not to buy from china so I feel duped by stihl if this is a chinese saw.

There was a thread here some time back about Stihl opening a production facility in China.
I have looked at some Stihl string trimmers at my local dealer that are marked made in China.

I really hate to see that some Dolmar's are made in China, because more will follow.
I have been trying for several years to not buy anything made in China, but now I am seeing a lot of products that just do not say, one way or another.
I take that as made in China, but we don't want you to know.

Home Depot is full of Chinese crap, WalMart is full of Chinese crap, Staples is full of Chinese crap. I for one am sick to death of it, and I'm not going to buy their junk even if I have do to without.

Well they can't exactly put "chicom garbage" on the ID tag...

I didn't want to hijack the dolmar/china thread so I made a new one. I recently picked up a stihl ms170 as a backup saw incase my john deere gets stuck and also to clear brush. I like the light weight for that. well, on the saw it says "manufactured by stihl inc., usa. with domestic and foreign components". it dosent say where the saw was made. is my saw chinese crap? I try my best not to buy from china so I feel duped by stihl if this is a chinese saw.

:monkey:

Scott

I wonder since we have stihl in the title if this will become a big bash thread like the dolmar thread has turned out to be:monkey:

Watch your food products. I will not even think of buying fish at WalMart. Every pack I pick up says China on it. Starting to see can goods also from China. It is getting harder and harder not to buy Chinese. But I will not buy food from China,look at what they did with the dog food.

Support your local farmers/butchers!!!!

I was at my saw dealer today and he has both Stihls branded like you mentioned and ones branded made in Germany, he was busy tending to another customer so I grabbed the MS 441 I wanted and put it in his office with my name on it, hopefully I'll pick it up soon...of course all of this was before the splitter incident.

My hs45 hedge trimmer made in china. My ms180c and 361 made in usa, also all my other stihls. Havent had anyissues with them I could not fix myself. It doesnt matter where stihl is made, they are all good. They are made in USA which is good, considering a lot of businesses here going out of business.

You will love the 170. And it can cut the bigger stuff too.

Oh yea I will stay away from home dept, walmart, that other garbage. I really only like to buy japanese and german products. Korea good too.

it just makes me mad that it dosen't say where it was made. I don't think that's too much to ask of Stihl!

It is getting increasingly tough not to buy products made in China. Chainsaws are no different. I myself will be paying very close attention to where my saws say they are made, if I see a China sticker on them, I will not buy. That is what we all need to do if we want to see any kind of quality endure. Unfortuantely, there are too many people out there who love to see a 40cc saw with a 20" bar sitting at their local Wal-Mart or Lowes or Home Despot for a $100.00. They think they are getting a great deal until the saw breaks down after a cord of wood.

It is getting increasingly tough not to buy products made in China. Chainsaws are no different. I myself will be paying very close attention to where my saws say they are made, if I see a China sticker on them, I will not buy. That is what we all need to do if we want to see any kind of quality endure. Unfortuantely, there are too many people out there who love to see a 40cc saw with a 20" bar sitting at their local Wal-Mart or Lowes or Home Despot for a $100.00. They think they are getting a great deal until the saw breaks down after a cord of wood.

this man tells the truth. I hate HD saws. Wal mart even worse!

Where in NY? I use to live in Plattsburgh. Metro ATlanta now.

this man tells the truth. I hate HD saws. Wal mart even worse!

Where in NY? I use to live in Plattsburgh. Metro ATlanta now.

I live about three hours west of Plattsburgh on the St. Lawrence in Clayton, NY up on the Thousand Islands.

Sure, I'd like to not buy product made in China either, but the bottom line is that a good majority of products have parts that are manufactured in China, even if they are not assembled there entirely. I think it is a part of the global economy these days, everyone is trying to make the best product they can for the least amount of money.

I don't think it's healthy for America, but in the big picture it seems that there's more politics to getting China involved with world trade so that they will change over time and become more like the rest of the free trade world. They are starting to change and I saw recently where they are taking some steps to improve the environmental problems they have, and they are certainly becoming more westernized...but it seems slow...

As consumers we can't dictate all the time, it would be impossible for us to live in the current world. Sure, I like to buy American when I can, don't get me wrong, maybe I'm getting soft because of how hard it has become...even product I buy from Korea or Taiwan, often have Chinese parts in them, as does European products...it's getting to the point that we can't hardly escape it...:(

I wonder since we have stihl in the title if this will become a big bash thread like the dolmar thread has turned out to be:monkey:

Does Dolmar have a manufacturing plant in the US?

Just to clarify, are you asking us to bash Dolmar? We can, it is pretty simple to bash on any manufacturer.

My wife bought me home a new pair of Carhartt bib overall yesterday. I knew something wasn't right. The material wasn't as near as heavy as my older Carhartts. I looked at the tag and the damned things were made in Mexico. In the past I always passed up the cheaper import work clothes. I didn't mind paying more for quality Made in the USA clothes. I never would have thought that the Carhartt company would have done this. Anybody know where to buy a good pair of USA made bibs??? These damned things are going back. I have already voiced my opinion to Carhartt.

I'd like to chime in here, if I could.

Until about 1965, Japanese products were pretty much universally regarded as inferior. However, a few companies - Sony, Toyota, etc -- built products of good enough quality that even the most stolid of "Buy American" consumers condescended to give these makes a try. Today, these manufacturers are household names. They are subject to the same adulation and criticism as domestic manufacturers, because they have been accepted as equals in the market.

China has tried very, very hard for several centuries to remain isolated from the West. Only recently have they accept Capitalism as a Fact Of Life. Let's not forget that S. Korea (home of Samsung, Hyundai, etc) were themselves thought of as a poor source of supplies until just a few years ago.

My feeling is this: China will get its feet wet in the World Economy, get spanked for lousy product, and shape up or ship out, like their neighbors. The problem here isn't China or Chinese parts & manufactures, but rather Chinese expectations of what the Market Will Bear. Let's not buy crap. That way, it won't be economical to produce crap. In time, China will be just another country in the global market, forced to compete as equals against other nations. Their standards will be forced to rise if they want to feed their People.

En Fin: ChiCom garbage will lead to its own extinction.

theres no getting away from it, alot of the components on the caterpillar machines i work on have alot of parts made in china (exhaust manifolds etc)
air valves etc made in mexico etc. its all down to profit !

says made in USA on front!! :deadhorse:
No, it does not say where it was made!

"manufactured by stihl inc., usa. with domestic and foreign components"

it says that it was made "BY" stihl inc.,usa... a company, not a place.

Latest posts

Back