Stihl versus Husky versus Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesawisfamily

Reaction score
A speech teacher in high school once told me never to begin a speech by apologizing, that said, I'm not going to.

I've owned several saws in the past, ranging from a used mini mac with a 16" bar, to a Brand New Homlite Big Red with a 20" and more recently a used Stihl 028, 029 & 009.

I am now in the market for one large (20 inch or larger) and one small (top handle preferably) saw.

I've used .325 pitch in the past on both my 009 and my 028 but prefer a 3/8 for the larger saw.

At present I've been searching all summer for some good used equipment and have thus far been amazed at people on places like ebay and even my local pawn shops paying 2, 3 and 4 times what they should be paying for 10-20 year old saws that are in most cases half shot, or in the case of the last 009 I bought, completely shot (as in seized solid).

Since I can't seem to find anything that runs and will cut wood without needing $100-150 worth of "maintenance" first I'm reluctantly considering buying new.

I've not heard that much good about the MS 290 and have been considering a Husky 455 or 460 but have also been looking at Dolmar, something maybe like a 510.

I won't bad mouth any of the saws I've owned, I made money with all of them. I will say with my last 029, I was cutting some larger trunks and while the saw didn't bog, I could tell maybe something a bit larger would have made my job a little quicker and easier. Let's face it folks when you're working with your hands time is money, and when you're taking down dead stuff without fear of collateral damage there's no reason to get fancy, just knock the thing down and make big pieces into small pieces as quickly as you can and move on.

I don't care about who's a better dealer, everyone's your brother until the rent is due, I don't need anyone to pat my head and tell me everything is going to be all better. What I need is a saw that will do the job, hold up to heavy work, run just as good when it's a hundred degrees as it does when it's 10 degrees. Oh and if anyone knows a saw that will cut ice and dirt just as well as it does wood that would be great!

Ideas, thoughts and opinions welcome.

I can't afford mistakes and would rather buy the right (for me) equipment the first time for the right price.

P.S. THE RIGHT PRICE!!!! (Thanks for pointing that out)

I should have mentioned I'd rather not spend more than 200 bucks for a used saw, the 029 I had I paid a hundred bucks for then replaced the .325 drum with a 3/8 and put a new chain and bar on it, at my local stihl dealer which graciously charged me something like 80 bucks.

So a hundred or less for a smaller one handed saw used I think is fair for what I have in mind, and less than 200 for one with a 20 inch 3/8 chain hopefully with life left in saw, bar and chain.

If I have to go new, I understand $330ish is about the going rate for the 455, I priced a MS290 for $350 and have no idea what the Dolmar 510 goes for or for that matter how it rates against the husky or stihls I mentioned.

P.P.S. AS for what kind of wood I cut, whatever pays the rent! I live in eastern South Dakota rarely cut anything taller than 40 feet or thicker than 2. I've cut Elm, Linden, Maple, Cedar, Pine and some kind of particularly nasty thing dead for several years and still weighed a ton almost like it was full of water. Oh I also cut some sycamore out east, man am I deathly allergic to that stuff, and what's with filling trees with concrete? (I found more than one old tree with that junk in it out east)

P.P.P.S! Thanks guys for the tips and offers, I still haven't found a one handed saw but am bidding on an old stihl 15 that might fit the bill nicely if it's in as good a shape as the owner claims. As for larger stuff, yesterday I procurred both a new 455 and a used Makita of the type H.D. rents. Thanks again for the opinions and knowledge.

It's always nice to bounce ideas off those who use or make a living using the equipment you are considering.

Last edited:
thesawisfamily said:
A speech teacher in high school once told me never to begin a speech by apologizing, that said, I'm not going to.

I've owned several saws in the past, ranging from a used mini mac with a 16" bar, to a Brand New Homlite Big Red with a 20" and more recently a used Stihl 028, 029 & 009.

I am now in the market for one large (20 inch or larger) and one small (top handle preferably) saw.

I've used .325 pitch in the past on both my 009 and my 028 but prefer a 3/8 for the larger saw.

At present I've been searching all summer for some good used equipment and have thus far been amazed at people on places like ebay and even my local pawn shops paying 2, 3 and 4 times what they should be paying for 10-20 year old saws that are in most cases half shot, or in the case of the last 009 I bought, completely shot (as in seized solid).

Since I can't seem to find anything that runs and will cut wood without needing $100-150 worth of "maintenance" first I'm reluctantly considering buying new.

I've not heard that much good about the MS 290 and have been considering a Husky 455 or 460 but have also been looking at Dolmar, something maybe like a 510.

I won't bad mouth any of the saws I've owned, I made money with all of them. I will say with my last 029, I was cutting some larger trunks and while the saw didn't bog, I could tell maybe something a bit larger would have made my job a little quicker and easier. Let's face it folks when you're working with your hands time is money, and when you're taking down dead stuff without fear of collateral damage there's no reason to get fancy, just knock the thing down and make big pieces into small pieces as quickly as you can and move on.

I don't care about who's a better dealer, everyone's your brother until the rent is due, I don't need anyone to pat my head and tell me everything is going to be all better. What I need is a saw that will do the job, hold up to heavy work, run just as good when it's a hundred degrees as it does when it's 10 degrees. Oh and if anyone knows a saw that will cut ice and dirt just as well as it does wood that would be great!

Ideas, thoughts and opinions welcome.

I can't afford mistakes and would rather buy the right (for me) equipment the first time for the right price.

You left out the most important part, how much money do you want to part with? If money is no object there are many saws outhere of all brands that will do what you want it to do...

I agree with the 6401, although I have not run one yet. I keep checking with my Home Depot, but they do not have one to sell yet. I think that the three brands you are considering are all good. I would suggest you spend a few extra dollars and step up to a pro grade saw. I prefer my 346xp to my 029 all day long. I lean towards the Husky and the Dolmar over the Stihl (If I were replaceing the 346, I would buy a Dolmar 5100), however I do not think I have ever run a pro grade Stihl.

Some people on this site will tell you that going to a pro grade saw is a waste of money and not needed if you are not cutting on a daily basis. I would say that there is no reason that you could not get by with the non pro version, but if the extra money is not a problem, you will never regret buying the pro grade saw.

I will let the people with more experiance and expertise reccomend specific models. If might be helpfull to them if you could better explain the type of cutting you expect to do. Hardwood/softwood, size, etc.

Good luck,

Jim

Andy1234 said:
Go to your local Home Depot with a rental center. See if they have a used Makita 6401 that is in good shape and that they can sell. It will cost $205 + tax, and should come with a good bar, new chain and instruction manual.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32768&highlight=makita+6401

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33437&highlight=makita+6401

Most people, including myself, are very happy with theirs.

FWIW,

Andy

If you are in no particular hurry, this sounds like the best option to me, unless you have a dealer that has used saws, or someone on AS wants to part with something?
Andy

Y'know, it's not so much that he chews the heads off, it's those.... NOISES he makes when he does it that give me the creeps.

And that look on his face... Downright creepy.

:yoyo:

Yea the noises. You should hear what he sounds like when you throw him a Gummy Bear.

Gummy Bears help him keep that 3120 tight between his theeth when he climbs to limb. Never seem him use spikes. just takes his boots off.

Last edited:
The first thing I reacted to in the initial post here, is the talk about a top-handle small saw, when it looks like there is no climbing involved.
Such saw are not a good choise for grounds work, as you will have less control, and easier hurt yourself.

Anyway, I think that the budget is just too tight for a sensible choise of saws. :help: :cry:
The Husky 455/460 or Dolmar PS460 will not cut much faster than the 029 (if at all), although they will cut smoother.

If you can find a Home Depot 6401 (same saw as Dolmar PS-6400) for sale, that may be a good deal if it is in order, but the 6400 weight the same as a 7900, and is no power to weight champion.

saws

As far as cutting dirt and ice go carbide!The chain is probably have the price of the saw you want!If you want a Husky 455 I got one for sale.Hardly used with warranty papers. I want $270.00 plus shipping.Shipping $29.40??i WILL REFUND SHIPPING MONEY NOT SPENT.ALSO THAT PRICE INCLUDES INSURANCE.
Ed

Witch saw saws best?

Well now first off
Welcome to the site.
Now if your are looking for a good saw that fits your budget and are like me.
Who cares what brand you buy. You are going to buy one that is a deal to you.
You say you have checked pawn shops and Ebay. Try going to the source, like your local loggers, Sawmills, and tree service They always have a saw to sell. Money talks.
I know a logger that is selling a 361 because he is tired of cleaning wood chips out of his carb says he will let it go for 300.00. Deals are out there.
Like I said go to the source.
You did not say what you wanted a top handle saw for. Top handle saws are for climbing trees. and thats all.
As for cement in trees. That used to be a cure for filling in rot in trees.
I have herd of people using Great stuff foam now.

oh buy the way Jonsered has a 100.00 off bag it tag it sale going on right now. call you nearest jonsered dealer and see what kind of used saws he has inquired.

I got this one for free!.. Sorry that's probably not helpful. :buttkick: It did come from a retired logger. I agree with manual- cut out the middleman whenever you can.:chainsaw: I ended up having to replace the bar and chain so my free saw actually cost about $50- no big deal.
ed92056b.jpg

Latest posts

Back